Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wes0707

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2020
Dear forum members,

If I want to save a PDF (after opening it from my mail), by clicking on the arrow pointing down next to the name of the file, it shows this strange folder I don't know. It is called MM Morhee 20160927091505.SL. I cannot find the folder in finder. Do you know where it might come from and how I can delete it (see for clarification the attached screenshots)?.
My macbook pro mid 2012 is running MacOS 10.15.3.
Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Sam

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-03-09 at 21.02.52.png
    Screenshot 2020-03-09 at 21.02.52.png
    42.4 KB · Views: 218
  • Screenshot 2020-03-09 at 21.01.48.png
    Screenshot 2020-03-09 at 21.01.48.png
    41.9 KB · Views: 118
  • Screenshot 2020-03-09 at 21.08.42.png
    Screenshot 2020-03-09 at 21.08.42.png
    9.6 KB · Views: 149

Evaldas

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2019
Every time when you open an attachment with double-click, Mail makes a “temporary” copy of the file in its Sandbox folder.

To show and clean this folder, click Finder, then choose Go > Go to Folder, and paste this path: ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/Library/Mail Downloads

To avoid making these useless and unsafe copies, I personally only use drag and drop or space bar.

Last edited:

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
If I want to save a PDF (after opening it from my mail), by clicking on the arrow pointing down next to the name of the file, it shows this strange folder I don't know.

Don't save the file that way. Instead just click on "File", "Save As" and use the original name. You should be opening the PDF file with Preview or Adobe (whichever you use) and save the file to your downloads folder.

wes0707

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2020
Every time when you open an attachment with double-click, Mail makes a “temporary” copy of the file in its Sandbox folder.

To show and clean this folder, click Finder, then choose Go > Go to Folder, and paste this path: ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/Library/Mail Downloads

To avoid making these useless and unsafe copies, I personally only use drag and drop or space bar.

Thank you for your response. I cleared the folder. However, I do not think that has something to do with the 'Morhee folder' in the screenshot. I see that by opening a file from both Apple Mail and the Microsoft 365 Outlook app.
[automerge]1583999187[/automerge]
Don't save the file that way. Instead just click on "File", "Save As" and use the original name. You should be opening the PDF file with Preview or Adobe (whichever you use) and save the file to your downloads folder.

Okay, I will. However, I do not think that has something to do with the 'Morhee folder' in the screenshot, as I see it showing up by opening a file from both Apple Mail and the Microsoft 365 Outlook app.

Evaldas

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2019
It looks like some random folder.
I’m sure you can find it with Finder’s “System files” search criteria.
Searching with System files.png

Evaldas

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2019
Let’s try an another and simpler way:
1. Select this folder in “Where:”, your file will automatically move into it.
2. Show a contextual menu by Control-click on the name of your file at the top of the window, then click on this folder, this should open it up.

wes0707

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2020
Thank you for all your help! May I ask what you mean bij "Where"? Do you mean a terminal command or something else?

wes0707

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2020
Ah okay, when I click on the folder it won't let me select it, unlike all other folders.

Evaldas

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2019
Now it looks like an alias or something from some kind of application. I've run out of guesswork. :(

wes0707

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2020
Very strange indeed. Thanks for your help though. Maybe somebody else is able to solve this.

Reactions: Evaldas

wes0707

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2020
Just searched the folder in my Time Machine backups, but this didn't help either.

wes0707

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2020
Yesterday I updated succesfully to MacOS 10.15.4, but this did not solve the problem either. Is there anyone who can help me to find the folder and delete it?

Thanks in advance!

Evaldas

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2019
I just figured out what this gray folder is. This is one of the favorite (or recent?) folders that is located on an inaccessible HDD / thumb drive / disk image, etc..

External Folder.png

If you want to know exactly where it was:
1. Click Finder, then choose Go > Go to Folder, and paste this path: ~/Library/Application Support/com.apple.sharedfilelist/com.apple.LSSharedFileList.FavoriteItems.sfl2
2. Open this file in TextEdit, then find the name of your folder, and you will see its path (something like file:///Volumes/…).

In the end, you can boldly clean these favorites, just delete “com.apple.LSSharedFileList.FavoriteItems.sfl2” file, then Log Out and Log In again.

Cheers.

Reactions: wes0707
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.