Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tux4Tosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2019
I have come across a glitch with my iPad Air 10.5 inch third gen. Basically, when I go to Apple’s website, and then to the web page for the new 16 inch MacBook Pro, and I scroll up and down the page, my iPad reboots. It doesn’t do this all of the time, about 50% of the time. When the fault occurs the screen turns pink and then the iPad restarts and prompts me for my passcode. I also tried this on a friends 3rd generation iPad Air, the same as mine, and it has the same problem. Both iPads are running iPad OS 13.2.3. This doesn’t happen on my 9.7 inch 6th generation iPad strangely enough, also running iPad OS 13.2.3. I have put a link below to a YouTube video that I made demonstrating the issue.

I’m pretty sure its a software problem but I haven’t seen any other reports of anyone else having this issue. I would be interested to hear other people’s opinions on this matter and if there is anything I should do on my end to try and resolve it.

Many Thanks

Tux4Tosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2019
Thanks for your reply.

Yes I am using Safari with all settings at default. The problem seems to occur more when scrolling up and down the page repeatedly 5 or 6 times, but does also happen when just scrolling down or up the page normally. I'm sure it would also happen on other websites too, but the 16 inch MacBook Pro page is the only one that I have had this happen on. And I expect its to do with all the rendering that has to be done on that webpage, as it is very busy in terms of animations and stuff.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Any non-default changes to Safari? Either in Safari settings or using a content (ad) blocker? If you use an ad blocker, I'd try turning it off or deleting it entirely. Also try accessing that web page using another browser on the same iPad.

Last edited:

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
I recently bought a refurb 10.5 iPad Pro from Apple. It randomly rebooted on me a few times. I sent it back and bought a new one cheaper elsewhere. This one hasn’t rebooted on me yet running iOS 13.2.3 , so I’m afraid yours probably has a hardware fault.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
I have come across a glitch with my iPad Air 10.5 inch third gen. Basically, when I go to Apple’s website, and then to the web page for the new 16 inch MacBook Pro, and I scroll up and down the page, my iPad reboots. It doesn’t do this all of the time, about 50% of the time. When the fault occurs the screen turns pink and then the iPad restarts and prompts me for my passcode. I also tried this on a friends 3rd generation iPad Air, the same as mine, and it has the same problem. Both iPads are running iPad OS 13.2.3. This doesn’t happen on my 9.7 inch 6th generation iPad strangely enough, also running iPad OS 13.2.3. I have put a link below to a YouTube video that I made demonstrating the issue.

I’m pretty sure its a software problem but I haven’t seen any other reports of anyone else having this issue. I would be interested to hear other people’s opinions on this matter and if there is anything I should do on my end to try and resolve it.

Many Thanks
No problem on my iPadOS devices...

Tux4Tosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2019
Thanks guys for your input, much appreciated.

And so an interesting update on this issue. Yesterday I called in to an Apple Store and decided to check their display iPad Air 3's, and I was able to replicate the problem on the two iPad Air's that I tried in there, making me think that it has to be a software problem. I also tried to replicate the problem on an iPad 7th generation and an iPad Pro, but they did not have the issue. It seems to only be present in the iPad Air 3 because that's four Air's I have tried and all of them have this issue.

Also, another strange thing seems to be that the problem only occurs when the iPad is in portrait orientation, when held in landscape the problem doesn't show up.

To get the problem to show, these are the steps I take; Place the iPad in portrait mode > go to the 16 inch MacBook Pro webpage > scroll up and down the full length of the page.

It seems to be when scrolling past the animations on that page that the problem rears its head. Sometimes it takes quite a few times to show, but other times it reboots on the first scroll. I know you could say, well just don't go on that webpage on your iPad, but I'm sure the problem would happen on other webpages with a lot of animations on there too. Also, I find it really interesting that it only happens on the iPad Air 3.

Thanks again guys for taking the time to read my post.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Thanks guys for your input, much appreciated.

And so an interesting update on this issue. Yesterday I called in to an Apple Store and decided to check their display iPad Air 3's, and I was able to replicate the problem on the two iPad Air's that I tried in there, making me think that it has to be a software problem. I also tried to replicate the problem on an iPad 7th generation and an iPad Pro, but they did not have the issue. It seems to only be present in the iPad Air 3 because that's four Air's I have tried and all of them have this issue.

Also, another strange thing seems to be that the problem only occurs when the iPad is in portrait orientation, when held in landscape the problem doesn't show up.

To get the problem to show, these are the steps I take; Place the iPad in portrait mode > go to the 16 inch MacBook Pro webpage > scroll up and down the full length of the page.

It seems to be when scrolling past the animations on that page that the problem rears its head. Sometimes it takes quite a few times to show, but other times it reboots on the first scroll. I know you could say, well just don't go on that webpage on your iPad, but I'm sure the problem would happen on other webpages with a lot of animations on there too. Also, I find it really interesting that it only happens on the iPad Air 3.

Thanks again guys for taking the time to read my post.

Very interesting update with surprising results from Air 3's at the Apple Store. I just now tried to replicate it in portrait mode on my recently purchased Air 3 using Safari and could not, even after many tries. But then I'm on 13.2.2 if that makes any difference. It could be a hardware issue that may have been present on earlier productions of the Air 3 vs. later. But in any event, thanks for posting this issue and hopefully it's a unique situation.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
On iPadOS 13.2.3 on the Air. Tried it again but still no crash.

On PCs, flashing to a pink screen like in the video is indicative of GPU or driver related error. I know I've experienced enough of them when overclocking or the graphics card is running particularly hot after gaming.

What was the screen brightness when you did the test? Mine was at 15-20%. Perhaps that's another factor. Did you have apps in the background particularly games?

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
I also cannot replicate what you’re seeing on an iPad Pro 10.5 running 13.2.3.

However there are plenty of other software bugs in iOS 13 that I have come across, that very much need fixing!

Torty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2013
Same happened here with my air 3 in portrait mode. Could not replicate it on my Air 2. IOS 13.2.3

Tux4Tosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2019
Further updates on my iPad Air glitch issue, with a couple of interesting discoveries:

So yesterday I noticed that iPadOS 13.3 was released and I quickly rushed to install it in the hope that this would resolve my rebooting problem, but sadly it did not :(

I then decided to install another browser, as also suggested above by Richard8655. And so I installed Google Chrome, and this is where it gets interesting… Using Chrome the glitch is nowhere to be seen! I repeatedly tried to induce the problem by doing the same actions as I did on Safari, and nothing, no reboots, Chrome works perfectly. So this reenforces my initial theory that its a software issue rather than hardware.

At this point, after being able to replicate the glitch on four different iPad Air 3’s, I was confused as to why the problem wasn’t evident on other iPad models like the new iPad 7th generation, and the iPad Pro, and after a bit more investigating here are my thoughts on that - the iPad Air 3 with its A12 CPU renders the ’16 inch MacBook Pro’ webpage differently than the iPads that use the A10 CPU, such as the iPad 6th and 7th generation, and how did I come to this conclusion you may very well ask? Well, stick with me on this one because its a bit awkward to put into words. But on the iPad Air 3 if you go the the 16 inch MacBook webpage, put your iPad Air 3 in landscape orientation (must be in landscape for this demonstration), go to the top of the page and scroll gently up and down, you will see the lid of the 16 inch MacBook Pro open and close. However, if you do the same on an iPad that uses the A10 CPU, the MacBook lid animation isn’t there, leading me to believe that there is a difference in how these iPad’s render the page.

And as for the iPad Pro? Well it has the extra cores of the A12X and more RAM than the Air 3, so maybe it can handle whatever it is Safari and the Air 3 is struggling with.

Another point of note to consider is the fact that Apple recently overhauled Safari in iPadOS 13 to be more like the desktop version, maybe it has a few bugs from that transition.

Thats my conclusions so far with the investigations that I have done, and I do hope Apple address this at some point in the future, but it doesn’t seem to be a widely reported problem, therefore might not get the required attention, but one can hope!

If you made it to the end of this post, I thank you :)

Cheers Guys

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I had to go view the webpage on PC to see what animation you were referring to. For some reason, I don't get that animation on the iPad Air 3 (restored from Pro 10.5) nor the 2nd gen Pro 12.9. Wonder if it's because I'm on LTE/Low Data Mode? Or perhaps I have some settings leftover from previous iOS versions?

Curious, can you post a screenshot of Settings > Safari > Advanced?

86D90187-7ED9-4348-A0AF-A0FAC7EDC58C.png 75352371-61B6-45D0-A8CD-E1F43D4E294D.png

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
My second gen 12.9 iPad Pro (A10X) renders the full animation in Safari.
Figured out the animations. I had Reduce Motion enabled so I wasn't getting animations. Disabled Reduce Motion and I can see them now. Tested on my Air 3 and it's still working fine. Wonder why it glitches on others.

Torty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2013
Safari on my mid 2012 Mac Pro (Mojave) shows much less animation than on my Air 3 ?

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015

Many Thanks
I ran to the Apple store was able to recreate this glitch repeatable Apple Genious could not explain it or restore it or hard reset. Always kept coming back. And he approved a replacement of my 2018 11” iPad Pro on the Spot.
I was super happy since the battery was toast.

Tux4Tosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2019
I return yet again with another slightly interesting discovery & update in my quest to get to the bottom of this strange anomaly of my rebooting iPad Air 3. I know its been a while, but I was pretty busy with Christmas in the works and stuff.

Anyway, I have discovered that if I go up to the 'smart search bar' in Safari on my iPad Air 3 and go to website settings and switch the 'Request Desktop Version' to off, then the problem disappears, but obviously I don't have the desktop version of the website, and that was one of the features I was most excited about in iPadOS. This also explains why I wasn't able to reproduce the problem on another iPad Air 3 last weekend that was still running a version of iOS12. But it still baffles me why it seems to only be the iPad Air 3 that suffers from this, and all the other models, even older models, don't suffer this problem.

Guys, just wanna say thank you so much for taking an interest in my little obsession with this iPad Air 3 glitch, it is greatly appreciated!

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Every once in a while my Safari freezes, and I have to end and restart it. I suspect it may be related to the issue here as desktop vs mobile mode, with default as desktop. Changed to mobile to display full screen images with image search, hopefully also solving the issue.

bloodychainsx

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2021

Many Thanks
Hello, I know this might be really late, but I’m having the same problem with my iPad mini 5th generation. The first time it happened was when I was watching tiktoks and the screen went just the same way shown on the video and restarted. After that it never happened again until like 15 minutes ago. I was going to watch a Netflix series and my internet was very slow and then it gave me that same problem. The screen went black and pink and restarted. I updated my iPad to IPad OS 15 today. I was hoping the glitch would be gone after installing IPad OS 15. But I guess nothing has been fixed yet. I’m hoping it’s just a software problem and gets fixed some day because I don’t want to buy another IPad since I don’t have money for that right now. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.