Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
My wife and I were walking in the park today and her phone just shut off with 50%+ left. When we started it up it reported 20% and dropped like a brick (2% a minute) until I let her borrow my small Anker 3200 mAh charger - which rocket charged the phone (in a few minutes) to 39% and stayed there even after unplugging for hours.

Phone seems to be stuck on 39% now no matter how long its used or what charging is done to it.

I plugged it into my Macbook and Coconut Battery shows health fine (97%) and no obvious problems.

Any advice? Right now I am telling the wife to let it run to 0 (hard to do since the % hasn't changed for 4+ hours even though she is watching videos with full brightness(painful)) - then we'll charge it to 100% and see how it does.

Please note this is a 6s+ not 6s. Has about 187 charge cycles and has behaved (up until now) flawlessly.

Thanks for your time!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Apple recently provides free battery replacement for iPhone 6s if it meets the requirements.

The OP has a 6s Plus. This wouldn't qualify for the replacement program, only the 6s does. @BigMcGuire, did you check the battery usage to determine if this was a contributor to the battery drainage?

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Nothing abnormal on the battery usage. Her phone finally hit 1% and shut off, restarted and showed 5% then shut off at 3% so we're charging it back to 100% and seeing if this continues. If so we'll hit Apple (we have AppleCare+).

But because we haven't had any problems with this phone (7-8 months) I'd like to blame 10.2 or maybe the super cold weather we're having (18F).

Thanks for the replies, I might have this thread deleted cuz I think it's a fluke. Will report back if we still have problems - if thread disappears - problems disappeared :).

Alonzo 27

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2016
Nothing abnormal on the battery usage. Her phone finally hit 1% and shut off, restarted and showed 5% then shut off at 3% so we're charging it back to 100% and seeing if this continues. If so we'll hit Apple (we have AppleCare+).

But because we haven't had any problems with this phone (7-8 months) I'd like to blame 10.2 or maybe the super cold weather we're having (18F).Shut down

My wife's iPhone 6S is having the same problem. Goes dead at 50% every two weeks. It is outside the battery replacement window. Any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.