Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meganlambert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Hey guys! I'm using an external keyboard right now, which is the only reason any of this is making sense.

So, currently, I'm using a Macbook Pro from mid 2014 with OSx El Capitan version 10.11.1! My keyboard is having some very odd problems. From what I've seen so far, these are my problems:
  • Without touching caps lock, capitalization will randomly turn on and off
  • If using a chat messenger, it will begin some messages with ]
  • Most spaces end with / (ex: how /are /you)
  • Backspace button works as a backspace AND turns the volume down
  • Actual caps lock button works as a P button
  • All actual letter keys appear to work normally
I can not think of what caused this at all! I left my laptop on my bed, open but asleep with no major programs running. There was a turned over bottle of water, but it was sealed very well. If it had spilled, I had only been gone for such a short period of time I would have seen water leakage. There was none. I had drunk a little water and it got a TINY bit messy, but I did not see ANY water touch the keyboard. I suppose it's possible some got in there, but it would have been such a tiny amount I didn't see it at all. Even then, as someone who's had problems with water damage, that seems like it would be so little that it would do nothing.

Might this be a virus? My external keyboard is working fine (no clue what that means though), keyboard is consistently weird. I turned it on and off again which sometimes fixes minor bugs - nothing. It does this no matter where I type as well.

Thanks!

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
If you think it's only water then give it a few hours to dry out and see then, it could also be dust/fluff from bed sheets you can get small tins of compressed air to give it a good blow :)

Last edited:

meganlambert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
I just actually left for a few minutes and it worked SOLIDLY fine. It's 100% perfect now. I'm not 100% confident now as a lot of the glitches/problems I've had have promptly disappeared and then come back any time from a few minutes/hours to months later, but this is a huge relief. I'm really hoping this was temporary!

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Good :) still when your passing a shop pick up a can of air and give the KB a good clean, it's surprising how cotton fluff builds up especially in the fans and ports if you use your MB in bed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.