Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OrlandoTragic

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
I like to quickly get sports scores by searching in Safari and looking at the pre-load top hit results.

This has always worked fine for me, but now when I do this, the results that load for me are showing in a foreign language (looks like Hindi??)

I've cleared my Safari cache/cookies, reset network settings, all the standard troubleshooting, but nothing is helping. Interestingly, this is seemingly only happening on soccer scores. When I search "MLB scores" for example, everything is in English.

This isn't a huge deal, but as someone that works in web development I'm fascinated by what the underlying root cause for this could be. Anyone seen this before? (Running iOS 15.6.1)

A few examples:

IMG_1305.PNG
IMG_1306.PNG

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Change the region and language settings for the search engine site at the top of a search page. I use Duck Duck Go and just tested this by changing the Region to Switzerland (fr.) and the language to French. Closed that window and did a normal search, and it all came up in French. Switched it back to US English.

Here's what the settings bar looks like at the top of a DDG window. Google search has similar settings.

Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 7.23.37 AM.png

Reactions: OrlandoTragic

OrlandoTragic

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
Change the region and language settings for the search engine site at the top of a search page. I use Duck Duck Go and just tested this by changing the Region to Switzerland (fr.) and the language to French. Closed that window and did a normal search, and it all came up in French. Switched it back to US English.

Here's what the settings bar looks like at the top of a DDG window. Google search has similar settings.

View attachment 2049665
I thought it might be something like this but its still happening - I don't think its an issue with the search, I think its an issue with the Safari "Pre-Load Top Hit" feature - the Google search results are showing in English, its the top hit content that's appearing incorrectly. This is so strange and fascinating to me lol

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I thought it might be something like this but its still happening - I don't think its an issue with the search, I think its an issue with the Safari "Pre-Load Top Hit" feature - the Google search results are showing in English, its the top hit content that's appearing incorrectly. This is so strange and fascinating to me lol
And is the Google region set to US?

Jackk_

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2023
Lombardia, Italia
I like to quickly get sports scores by searching in Safari and looking at the pre-load top hit results.

This has always worked fine for me, but now when I do this, the results that load for me are showing in a foreign language (looks like Hindi??)

I've cleared my Safari cache/cookies, reset network settings, all the standard troubleshooting, but nothing is helping. Interestingly, this is seemingly only happening on soccer scores. When I search "MLB scores" for example, everything is in English.

This isn't a huge deal, but as someone that works in web development I'm fascinated by what the underlying root cause for this could be. Anyone seen this before? (Running iOS 15.6.1)

A few examples:

View attachment 2049042 View attachment 2049043

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.