Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsd79

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2013
Over the past few weeks, my wife's iPhone 6 (running iOS 10.0.2) sometimes shows audio controls on the lock screen, even when no song is or was playing. No song title is listed, no song runtime is visible, etc. She tries force-closing the music app but that doesn't help restore her normal lock screen. The only thing that makes her lock screen return to normal is to power down the phone and restart, but doing so doesn't prevent the problem from happening again a few hours or days later. (See the screenshot I took.)

I've never seen this happen on any of the iPhones I've ever owned. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_6289.PNG
    IMG_6289.PNG
    156.8 KB · Views: 392
Reactions: Zippy3505

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Over the past few weeks, my wife's iPhone 6 (running iOS 10.0.2) sometimes shows audio controls on the lock screen, even when no song is or was playing. No song title is listed, no song runtime is visible, etc. She tries force-closing the music app but that doesn't help restore her normal lock screen. The only thing that makes her lock screen return to normal is to power down the phone and restart, but doing so doesn't prevent the problem from happening again a few hours or days later. (See the screenshot I took.)

Is it possible she played some video either in an app like YouTube (or potentially even Facebook) or from Safari or another browser? Sometimes the controls are there in relation to that.

Usually closing the app (or all apps) would get rid of it, similar to restarting.

Last edited:

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
My 7+ does this occasionally as well. Haven't figured out culprit yet but odd I run across this because just happened earlier this evening

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
had the same thing

i quess it was youtube? i uninstalled youtube on yesterday and installed it back. and my lockscreen looks normal now. (closing app didnt work)

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)

Swipe it over

jsd79

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2013
Swipe it over

I'm not quite sure what you mean...with iOS 10 we no longer swipe to unlock. Did you mean something different?

Yes, my wife can unlock the phone without a problem. The question is, why does this appear on the lock screen in the first place and is there a way to avoid it? For instance, this weird lock screen prevents the user from quickly seeing the time without fully unlocking the phone.
[doublepost=1480279940][/doublepost]
Is it possible she played some video either in an app like YouTube (or potentially even Facebook) or from Safari or another browser? Sometimes the controls are there in relation to that.

Usually closing the app (or all apps) would get rid of it, similar to restarting.

Thanks for the suggestion. It's possible there was some audio or video from a website that the phone mistakenly thought was still playing. I've asked my wife to try force-closing Safari or Facebook next time she has this problem to see if that fixes it. I'll report back the results!

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I'm not quite sure what you mean...with iOS 10 we no longer swipe to unlock. Did you mean something different?

Yes, my wife can unlock the phone without a problem. The question is, why does this appear on the lock screen in the first place and is there a way to avoid it? For instance, this weird lock screen prevents the user from quickly seeing the time without fully unlocking the phone.
[doublepost=1480279940][/doublepost]

Thanks for the suggestion. It's possible there was some audio or video from a website that the phone mistakenly thought was still playing. I've asked my wife to try force-closing Safari or Facebook next time she has this problem to see if that fixes it. I'll report back the results!
Sorry. I believe I misunderstood or confused the lock screen for the control panel.

lostboyz

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2010
Singapore
Hey guys, I kept had this blank music control lock screen when Im not listening to music or youtube.
I had to close all apps to remove this.. and its quite irritating. It wasn't like this during iphone6S plus.

Anyway to solve this? Many thanks in advance.

3meswXT.jpg

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Sounds like there was an app where some audio was played at some point or was available and the OS was showing controls based on that. When you closed all of the apps that went away as whatever app was behind it was closed. Are you seeing this constantly?

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Last edited:

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I noticed this same thing on my screen this morning. I think it has happened a few other times but for some reason it stuck out to me today. Do you use BT to stream music in your car? I noticed it this morning on my way in to work. I listen to Apple music during my drive every day. It automatically pauses every time I turn off my car, but it's weird that the control is empty. Just a little bug they'll have to sort out at some point.

lostboyz

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2010
Singapore
Sounds like there was an app where some audio was played at some point or was available and the OS was showing controls based on that. When you closed all of the apps that went away as whatever app was behind it was closed. Are you seeing this constantly?

Sometimes its fb that caused that, sometimes its safari, sometimes its some other app. But well its a bug that they need to rectify it soon.
[doublepost=1480439306][/doublepost]

Im seeing this everyday! LOL, at least 3-4 times a day. It went away once I close all the apps. Strangely it can be any app that caused this, like fb, safari etc. But it silent be this way, this only happens in iOS 10.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Sometimes its fb that caused that, sometimes its safari, sometimes its some other app. But well its a bug that they need to rectify it soon.
[doublepost=1480439306][/doublepost]

Im seeing this everyday! LOL, at least 3-4 times a day. It went away once I close all the apps. Strangely it can be any app that caused this, like fb, safari etc. But it silent be this way, this only happens in iOS 10.
I've had this happen with iOS 9 and 8 and before as well on occasion. It has happened with iOS 10, but also just on occasion or two. Not sure why it has increased or is so often in your case.

ultra7k

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
For me FaceBook has been the big offender. I just force close it and the problem seems to go away.

007 Junior

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2013
The Netherlands
It's definitely caused by Facebook. Try closing Facebook first when closing all your apps and see how it immediately will disappear. About a year ago, I read about this sneaky 'bug' in the Facebook app where the app is playing a silent audio file in the background in order to stay active and keep refreshing your timeline. Thought it was fixed by now though..

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's definitely caused by Facebook. Try closing Facebook first when closing all your apps and see how it immediately will disappear. About a year ago, I read about this sneaky 'bug' in the Facebook app where the app is playing a silent audio file in the background in order to stay active and keep refreshing your timeline. Thought it was fixed by now though..
That part has been fixed some time ago. It sounds like something else there might be causing it within Facebook or other apps.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004

Yes, because after all, the time isn't right at the top of the screen. Oh, wait...

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I still get this quite regularly. I'm fairly certain it's related to how iOS 11 handles bluetooth devices--specifically when they're no longer connected. I've also noticed that it also drains the battery quite rapidly, as when this occurs, my battery has ZERO "standby" time for the day--only usage time.

I can only hard reset the device to have it behave normally, but it typically comes back same day.

Super annoying.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
After restarting my phone yesterday, I did indeed have usage time and standby time again.

I was careful which Bluetooth devices I connected to, and I think I narrowed it down to the Bluetooth receiver in my vehicle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.