Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jMc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2001
London N8, Late-16th Century
Hi All

I have two Macs set up on an Airport network - an old B&W (upgraded to a G4) which I use as a file/media server and a Al PowerBook G4. The problem I'm experiencing is when trying to connect to the B&W by browsing to it in the Finder, rather than the standard afp "Connect to the file Server B&W" dialogue allowing me to connect as a Guest or Registered User, I'm now receiving an ftp dialogue (FTP File System Authentication). Basically, when trying to browse to this machine it's trying to connect using ftp rather than afp - using the Connect to Server menu item and typing in the address works fine however.

Both machines have the same Sharing privileges set (Personal File Sharing, Personal Web Sharing and Remote Login) with FTP Access turned off. I can connect to the PowerBook from the B&W by browsing the Finder just fine.

I'm running up to date 10.4.3 on both machines. I've repaired permissions on both machines numerous times, turned on and off sharing privileges, restarted both machines etc.

Any ideas greatly appreciated...

jx

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
No idea why it is trying to connect through FTP without you asking for it. You could make it easier to connect though.

Just connect using "connect to server..." ... afp://...
Once it's mounted on your desktop make an alias to the network drive (you can do this by clicking the network drive once and press command-L).
Put the alias somewhere you will be able to find it.
Just double click the alias whenever you want to reconnect to the drive (or put it in your startup items)

Cheers

About the FTP connection, does it let you set it up? even without it being active in your prefs?
Try to do this from the PB:
Open terminal
Type 'telnet ipofb&w 21'
Press enter
Get a reply?

jMc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2001
London N8, Late-16th Century
redeye be said:
No idea why it is trying to connect through FTP without you asking for it. You could make it easier to connect though.

Just connect using "connect to server..." ... afp://...
Once it's mounted on your desktop make an alias to the network drive (you can do this by clicking the network drive once and press command-L).
Put the alias somewhere you will be able to find it.
Just double click the alias whenever you want to reconnect to the drive (or put it in your startup items)

Thanks - I do this already and it was the fact that these alias' were no longer working that lead me to discover the browsing/ftp problem. Deleting and recreating the alias' using 'Connect to Server' fixed them, but browsing still remains broken.

redeye be said:
About the FTP connection, does it let you set it up? even without it being active in your prefs?
Try to do this from the PB:
Open terminal
Type 'telnet ipofb&w 21'
Press enter
Get a reply?

No. I can't telnet to the b&w. I can ssh to it, but then I do have remote login enabled.

Thanks for the suggestions anyway - it's not the end of the world as, as you suggest, there are other (and easier) ways to mount the shares, it's just annoying...

jx

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.