Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dgian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2022
Hello fellows !

Just did a clean re install of the Monterey OS and found out that an extra partition appears under Macintosh HD - having the same name and then a 3rd one Macintosh HD - Data. (please have a look at the attached photos)

I am sure when i was deleting the OS i clicked on the 1st line Macintosh HD and selected ERASE VOLUME GROUP.

I am also positive that prior to reinstalling Monterey OS there were only 2 lines:
Macintosh HD & Macintosh HD - Data.
The device is a Macbook Air 2020 M1 - 16gb ram - 256gb hd.

How can i fix this ? (i dont mind having to reinstall Monterey OS through restore - had no important data anyways).
Thanks

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 463
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 348
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 305

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
You need to boot into recovery > Disk Utility > click on view all devices > and delete the drive that has APPL and numbers in the name. It should be the top one listed. Once you have done that, reinstall the OS.

dgian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2022
You need to boot into recovery > Disk Utility > click on view all devices > and delete the drive that has APPL and numbers in the name. It should be the top one listed. Once you have done that, reinstall the OS.
@Apple_Robert i have no appl there, here is a screenshot. all of them are apfs

Attachments

• 275945336_566178027906782_5963582533445734719_n.jpg
    275945336_566178027906782_5963582533445734719_n.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 228

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Even your screenshot shows the line with "APPL (actually APPLE!) and numbers in the name"
Move up one line -- That's the line that you want to select, then erase.

dgian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2022
@DeltaMac & @Apple_Robert you guys are reffering to APPLE SSD AP0256Q Media ?
If so, i will select this one and hit ERASE. Correct ?
What name
should i give it coz its asking me for one ? Should i go with the same or Untitled ?

dgian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2022
@Apple_Robert ERROR - (i did hit erase on every partition below that as well and then retried it but got the same error). Prior to that i also hit the ERASE THIS MAC as well

Attachments

• 277291203_674819020476697_7837347958964958241_n.jpg
    277291203_674819020476697_7837347958964958241_n.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 292

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
It's fine - don't do anything

Meaning the structure of the volumes and partitions are fine.. in my example My boot is a disk volume that's formatted with the name "Macintosh SSD" - APFS and macOS Monterey then proceeds to create system and data partitions. In macOS Monterey you'll normally only see "Macintosh SSD" with all your files.. when in fact your boot drive is quietly operating from different APFS volumes that keeps the system and personal files separate.

that's macOS Big Sur and macOS Monterey for you..

If you want to reformat the whole drive then follow instructions given to you above. You'll then be sad to learn that you formatted your disk for nothing.

In your screenshots there's some blue bars.. you can add those up - like it is in the first of the three screenshots and see that the the other two volumes add up to the total of the first. Hence .. don't worry about it

Screen Shot 2022-04-05 at 15.37.26.jpeg

Last edited:

OnawaAfrica

Cancelled
Jul 26, 2019
Hello fellows !

Just did a clean re install of the Monterey OS and found out that an extra partition appears under Macintosh HD - having the same name and then a 3rd one Macintosh HD - Data. (please have a look at the attached photos)

I am sure when i was deleting the OS i clicked on the 1st line Macintosh HD and selected ERASE VOLUME GROUP.

I am also positive that prior to reinstalling Monterey OS there were only 2 lines:
The device is a Macbook Air 2020 M1 - 16gb ram - 256gb hd.

How can i fix this ? (i dont mind having to reinstall Monterey OS through restore - had no important data anyways).
Thanks
DO NOT DELETE ANY PARTITION.The first one is not a partition, it is the APFS Container. and the 2 Below it which are in dented are the Partitions. Go in Diskutility to the Menu VIEW and click on SHOW ONLY VOLUMES. Then it will only show the 2 Partitions without the APFS Container

dgian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2022

dgian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2022
It's fine - don't do anything

Meaning the structure of the volumes and partitions are fine.. in my example My boot is a disk volume that's formatted with the name "Macintosh SSD" - APFS and macOS Monterey then proceeds to create system and data partitions. In macOS Monterey you'll normally only see "Macintosh SSD" with all your files.. when in fact your boot drive is quietly operating from different APFS volumes that keeps the system and personal files separate.

that's macOS Big Sur and macOS Monterey for you..

If you want to reformat the whole drive then follow instructions given to you above. You'll then be sad to learn that you formatted your disk for nothing.

In your screenshots there's some blue bars.. you can add those up - like it is in the first of the three screenshots and see that the the other two volumes add up to the total of the first. Hence .. don't worry about it

View attachment 1986717
yours are shown as mine in the external SSD drives. But the internal partitions of yours are different than mine.

dgian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2022
Your disk was normal in the first post. There is nothing wrong. If you reinstall the OS you're just wasting your time. You'll see the same structure because that's a normal macOS installation.
@chabig i am a windows I.T. admin and this is my 1st mac going through this process. i just noticed the issue and hence i was worried.
If you are a kind enough i will post a screenshot once the installation is completed (4th time within the day :) ) so can you please verify that all the partions are shown as they normally should once i upload the screenshot ?
i am just terrified that the tiny 256gb ssd will become smaller hence i am going through this hassle.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Since you're more familiar with Windows, some of the things Macs do may look weird for sure. Apple File System (APFS) is an interesting beast, new and modern. It has some really neat features like variable size volumes and space sharing. Your first post showed a normal disk, formatted as APFS. On an APFS disk, the next logical structure down is a container. A container holds volumes. Volumes keep data logically separated. The beauty of APFS is that one container can hold multiple volumes, and they all share the space. In other file systems, you'd use partitions to accomplish this, and you'd have to decide in advance how much space to allocate to each partition. That's not necessary in APFS with all volumes sharing the space inside a single container.

Modern macOS takes advantage of this volume sharing feature of APFS to logically separate the operating system files form the user's data files. The OS volume is read-only so it cannot become corrupted. It's also signed and sealed. The Mac will not boot if the operating system volume is modified in any way. If your machine boots, you're guaranteed to have a pristine system volume.

By default, the volumes in a macOS installation are named "Macintosh HD" and "Macintosh HD - Data". The first is the operating system. The second is your use data. Finder hides this split structure from users. To a user, it looks like everything resides on a single volume.

Much good APFS information exists on this website, if you're really interested:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Just to add to what others mentioned, OP what you are seeing is a totally normal and standard Monterey install. Nothing is wrong.

Here is mine.

Screen Shot 2022-04-05 at 8.54.52 AM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: chabig

clevins

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2014
The people who told you to delete the top partition don't know what they're talking about. Your disk is/was fine. If you're interested, google APFS and mac and read up on the details of how they partition drives.

Why are you reinstalling the OS anyway? What problem is there?

kevcube

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2020
@dgian you're talking about partitions, but showing us a list of volumes. They are not the same thing. Don't be afraid of what you don't understand, instead do your research on Disk Utility, APFS, and more.

Reactions: chabig

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
Its funny reading some of the "experts" tell you how to crash your system. When apple came out with the locked down system disk (don't remember when) the install would format your drive into a system which is locked down and a DATA which is where all the non-system is stored. Makes sense right?

The only thing weird I see on your screen shots is you seem to have created a disk image (why?).

so if you are looking at Show all devices in disk utility you will see:
Physical SSD or Media
Container disk (AFPS contaner)
AFPS Volume Group
The system Volume
A snapshot volume
and a DATA volume

If you show only volumes, you will not see the first two items

clevins

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2014
Its funny reading some of the "experts" tell you how to crash your system. When apple came out with the locked down system disk (don't remember when) the install would format your drive into a system which is locked down and a DATA which is where all the non-system is stored. Makes sense right?

The only thing weird I see on your screen shots is you seem to have created a disk image (why?).

so if you are looking at Show all devices in disk utility you will see:
Physical SSD or Media
Container disk (AFPS contaner)
AFPS Volume Group
The system Volume
A snapshot volume
and a DATA volume

If you show only volumes, you will not see the first two items
As an example of this, here's my drive with Show Volumes:

Screen Shot 2022-04-05 at 10.27.01 AM.png

and here it is with Show All Devices:
Screen Shot 2022-04-05 at 10.27.18 AM.png

Anyone telling you to delete the top line is dangerously ignorant or deliberately malicious.

Reactions: kevcube and chabig

dgian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2022
guys i went through all your comments and here is what i was doing (while you guys were replying... ?)
1. i went at APPLE SSD AP0256Q Media and hit ERASE
2. reinstalled Monterey OS and here is what the drive looks like:
277113065_514896023492965_4328929089879627021_n.jpg

277545056_403218824484556_6341690051088869967_n.jpg

277113065_514896023492965_4328929089879627021_n.jpg

So guys whats your verdict on this ?
*just remember that all this started because prior to deleting Monterey OS (1st time) i was only seeing :

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
So guys whats your verdict on this ?
*just remember that all this started because prior to deleting Monterey OS (1st time) i was only seeing :
Yes, that's exactly how it should look. There was/is nothing wrong.

Have a look at Apple's own site. Their support article even shows the exact same layout as yours.

Reactions: Weaselboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.