Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 7, 2004
Why does USB Mouse removal cause notebook to wake up?

Sometimes i will have my Powerbook G4 closed and i will have forgotten to unplug the mouse from it before putting it to sleep by closing it. When i remove the mouse, the machine wakes up even though its still shut. Anyone have any idea why that is happening? It has done this since i got the powerbook almost 2 years ago and has happened with 3 mice of different brands. I am currently using a logitech notebook mouse (cord coils around the bottom of the mouse)

Thanks

exeterbohemian

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
brooklyn
you might try checking out the 'keyboard & mouse' settings in your system preferences. under the bluetooth tab there is a checkbox for allowing bluetooth peripherals to wake the computer. i realize your that mouse is usb, but still it might be worth checking out. try unchecking the box and see if the problem persists.

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 7, 2004
exeterbohemian said:
you might try checking out the 'keyboard & mouse' settings in your system preferences. under the bluetooth tab there is a checkbox for allowing bluetooth peripherals to wake the computer. i realize your that mouse is usb, but still it might be worth checking out. try unchecking the box and see if the problem persists.

Good suggestion but I don't use Bluetooth at all and that option is unchecked.

Cloudgazer

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2005
RSA
The same thing happens to me.
unplug the USB mouse and the pbook wakes from sleep.

Oddly, when I use a BT mouse, i can click it to wake the pbook, but it doesn't work if I use a USB mouse.
I have to press a key to wake it.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
Why do you unplug the mouse when you put the machine to sleep? I don't see any reason for this unless you transport your 'book while it's sleeping and need to unplug all peripherals in order for it to fit in your bag... :confused:

flyguy451

macrumors regular
May 3, 2005
I noticed this type of behavior when I plugged my Palm pilot into the USB port to charge it. The PB was closed but it woke up when I plugged in.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I unplug the peripheral from my sleeping iBook because even the slightest movement of the mouse will wake it up. Since it doesn't have the Screen Spanning Doctor installed, it falls to sleep immediately, which can't be terribly good for the internals. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.