Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

highstream

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2020
In bed using my iPad Mini 2 in a keyboard case, reading sites in Safari with four or five tabs open and with a strong wi-fi connection. I laid the Mini down (open) next to me on the comforter, got up and when I came back the case had rolled over on its back (screen facing up). No big deal. But picking it up, I found the screen with Amazon and all those thumbnails showing, but no amount of swiping could get me out of it. So going back to the home screen, I opened Safari (from the bottom) and now all the previously open tabs were now closed and the top section -- tabs and headers -- had turned dark grey/black. In addition, that first screen, where Amazon, etc., was is now empty except for an Edit button. I reconstructed the tabs open in Safari, but since then...

- websites (not apps) that rarely logged me out before now do so frequently once or twice to several times a session, seemingly soon after I leave them for another tab. Most annoying among these is my third-party email web portal, fastmail.com, which in an hour or two session I might have to re-log into six or seven times (yes, the "keep me logged in box" is checked).

- I've yet to find a way to change the tab/headers background color in Safari back to where it was (black on white if I recall correctly).

Any ideas what might be going on or have changed, and how to correct it? Thanks,

highstream

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2020
Update: It seems that the Mini switched to Private mode on its own - by falling backwards a few inches on a down comforter. Private mode also seems to change the color of tabs and headers to dark grey/black, which is a good way of alerting the user. That is, if the user knew anything specific about Private mode to start with, which this user didn’t. Problem apparently solved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.