Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CLS7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2016
Malmoe, Sweden
I have a strange sound problem with my iPhone 12 Pro Max. When I play games, the volume is good, but if I wait 5 seconds and do nothing and then continue to play again, the volume has almost dropped completely. The sound then increases by itself after a while to normal sound level again. I using the inbuild speakers, not headphones.

Is this a bug or a hardware failure?

Reactions: Ghost007

Ghost007

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2022
I have a strange sound problem with my iPhone 12 Pro Max. When I play games, the volume is good, but if I wait 5 seconds and do nothing and then continue to play again, the volume has almost dropped completely. The sound then increases by itself after a while to normal sound level again. I using the inbuild speakers, not headphones.

Is this a bug or a hardware failure?
Seems like a bug. This has been happening to me too, Bluetooth headset and speakers. The volume lowers and raises on its own. I tried turning off the Face ID attention setting, nothing. I recorded a song playing on screen record and you can hear the volume drop and raise in the playback. I hope apple fixes this

J Michael T

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2010
I think I have the same or similar issue. My AirPods volume will randomly drop by about a third while I’m listening to podcasts. This started happening after the latest upgrade. If I slide the volume slider back and forth to max and min volume the issue will clear up. It’s very random and only seems to happen on my 3rd Gen AirPods. I have a pair of 2nd gen AirPods that I wear whenever I have to charge the other pair, and I don’t recall this happening then but it may be that I only wear them for 15-20 minutes at a time.

CLS7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2016
Malmoe, Sweden
I upgraded my Iphone in yesterday to iOS 16 PB and found that the issue still present! why can't Apple fix it? could it be a hardware failure? I also tried to reset all settings but it didn’t work either.

Last edited:

Ghost007

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2022
Same issue here!!! It def isn’t hardware. Happens on my 12 pro max and my wife’s SE 2. On headphones, speaker, car speakers, all the apps. Volume drops for 15 seconds about then raises on its own again. Wait I already replied to this thread lol. Hasn’t been happening as much but still is happening. Maybe a specific app is triggering the volume bug?

CLS7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2016
Malmoe, Sweden
For me this is only happens when playing games. No issues when listen to music or video. It also happens to calls, the ring volume is on a normal level, but if I taking it up to my face the ring volume will be lower. I guess it have to do something with Face ID attention setting, if I turn it off maybe iOS not registrated it as disabled?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.