Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GaryR222

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2021
I've been producing videos since the mid 90s, and I've never experienced this. It's kind of complicated - so here it goes.

I usually use my iMac, which doesn't have any of these sync problems, but I do have the problems when I use my MBP, (2.8Ghz, 16GB RAM, i7, 15 inch, 2017). Also, I have the latest versions of OS, Premiere and Media Encoder on both computers.

On my MBP, when I export a video from Premiere onto an external hard drive, (WD 4TB, portable) the video and audio are out of sync if I randomly start playing the video at different parts of the video. However, if I start playing the video at the beginning, and let it run the whole way through, it will stay in sync. That's only the first strange thing.

2nd strange thing is that, if I copy the video onto my desktop, then it will play fine, no matter where I start playing it. Or, if I export the video straight to the desktop instead of the internal hard drive, it will play fine. But as soon as I copy it back onto the external hard drive, it has the sync problem again.

3rd strange thing, and this one is very strange - If I upload the video from the internal hard drive onto Google Drive, then the video on the internal hard drive starts working fine! I know that doesn't make any sense, but I tried it a couple times with the same result.

So, I do have work arounds to stop the sync problem, but that shouldn't be necessary.

I don't know if this is a problem with Premiere, QuickTime, the MBP, the external hard drive or something else. If anyone has any thoughts, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks, Gary

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.