Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

H-P.

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2015
Hi there,

I am a long-time reader of this forum, but I decided to make an account to discuss the following:

I recently clean installed Yosemite 10.10.5 on a new HDD (spinning) in my late 2011 Macbook Pro. For years I had Snow Leopard installed and it was great, but due to compatibility issues and slow browsing I made the step to Yosemite.

I must say it's all working great, but I notice strange color differences when navigating through my dock "stack" folders (applications, documents and downloads) when they pop open after being clicked/tapped on. When the cursor is moving to a file with a long name it creates a white label. Depending on the background this label leaves an even bigger white "area" or border behind resulting in white blocks on a grey-ish transparent background.

When the transparency is reduced in system preferences it's a non-issue, but then the dock is too bright for my liking. So I would very much like to know if other people are experiencing the same and whether it's something that can be fixed.

Ooh before I forget: I experienced this issue on multiple installments of 10.10.5 (on the same device). So it seems re-installing doesn't do the trick.

Thanks in advance!

PS: added a picture for evidence.

Update: someone told me to do a PRAM-reset, so I did. For a moment I thought there was improvement, but unfortunately not.

Update 2: When I move the dock to the left-side of de screen the problem doesn't seem to occur. So the problem is mostly visible on the right-side of the screen, on both macbook pro and external monitor.

Perhaps hardware related? Or a strange bug in Yosemite?

I hope there's a fix for this, because it looks kind of awful once you know it's there. I hope my machine is alright.

Attachments

• image4.JPG
    image4.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 351
Last edited:

H-P.

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2015
Anyone?

I did hardware tests to be sure and it turns out a memory module went wrong. Could this be the problem? I want to make sure before I get some new RAM.

Thanks

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Anyone?

I did hardware tests to be sure and it turns out a memory module went wrong. Could this be the problem? I want to make sure before I get some new RAM.
Thanks
Since AHT identified that RAM had a problem then I would replace it and retest.

Some video distortion problems have been attributed to dGPU problems with 2011 MBPs. I do not know if your MBP has Radeon discrete GPU, but if it does and it becomes a problem then the logic board would have to be replaced. Apple has an extended Warranty replacement program for that failure. See MacBook Pro Repair Extension Program for Video Issues.

H-P.

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2015
@CoastalOR
Thanks, I will. The memory is probably replaced in warranty as it has "lifetime warranty".
At the same time I will ask about the issue to make sure. I had the motherboard already replaced last year because of GPU problems so I hope I don't need another.

Reactions: CoastalOR

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California
Your machine is fine. It's a Yosemite bug. I get the same thing on my 2010 iMac. Issue has been present since 10.10.4 and maybe earlier

Reactions: H-P.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Your machine is fine. It's a Yosemite bug. I get the same thing on my 2010 iMac. Issue has been present since 10.10.4 and maybe earlier
VanNess: Are you saying that a memory problem detected by a (Apple?) hardware test (post #2) is a bug in Yosemite or just the color differences (post #1) or both?

H-P.

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2015
@VanNess Thanks for your response! That's a relief. :) On the other hand I think it's rather surprising that a bug like that (still) presents itself in such a late version of Yosemite. And on the right-side of the screen only.
By the way, would a reinstall of Yosemite solve the issue?

@CoastalOR I am sure I still need to replace my RAM ;)

Last edited:

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California
@VanNess Thanks for your response! That's a relief. :) On the other hand I think it's rather surprising that a bug like that (still) presents itself in such a late version of Yosemite. And on the right-side of the screen only.
By the way, would a reinstall of Yosemite solve the issue?

@CoastalOR I am sure I still need to replace my RAM ;)

Reinstalling is generally a big waste of time. I keep the dock bottom center and see the issue with file names generally for files displayed on the right portion of the grid.

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California
A little update to the issue regarding stacks and hovering the cursor over the file to see the long file name - apparently if you enable dark mode there is no issue with a "border" around the file name so if you can handle dark mode it's a fix for that.

Reactions: H-P.

H-P.

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2015
Thanks for your suggestion VanNess! I have tried dark mode, but in my case it makes the issue only less visible due to the black background. So it's still there unfortunately. Reducing transparency does make it go away completely for me. But, I decided not to let it bother me anymore (although a complete fix would be nice :)).

Ashton1

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL
Thanks for your suggestion VanNess! I have tried dark mode, but in my case it makes the issue only less visible due to the black background. So it's still there unfortunately. Reducing transparency does make it go away completely for me. But, I decided not to let it bother me anymore (although a complete fix would be nice :)).
Well, this is an old thread, but I've been having this same issue with a MacBook Pro (Late 2011) running OS High Sierra (10.13.5) and I fixed it based on a suggestion to recalibrate the display System Pref/ Display / Color and then recalibrate choosing "Native White Point" (which ended up being really close to D65 anyway on my machine).
Might be worth a try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.