Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bumpylumpy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2015
One thought occurred to me, especially since I'm also looking at Nintendo Amiibo figures this evening...

Perhaps Apple is going to be making all of their straps "limited editions". Perhaps this fall, we'll see the existing modern buckle straps go away, maybe get replaced with the same design and new colors, or maybe they will *all* go away entirely, replaced with a totally different design.

That will put pressure on people to buy what they like now, because at any moment Apple will put out new straps and the old ones will become collectors items. Maybe they'll even have super-limited versions (less than 1000 made) and hope that we'll all be building up huge strap collections.

Frankly, I'd be surprised if some 3rd party maker isn't thinking of this right now; make their own premium limited edition bracelets and price them with just as high a margin as Apple.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Setting aside the Edition straps, I don't think the launch straps are limited, but I do think some will get replaced. I doubt that the Leather Loop is going to be super popular and I could see that one getting cosmetic changes that are pretty significant. Milanese might come and go. But that is a timeless design. It will be brought back even if not always available.

I do believe the Edition version is going to be limited. Those will get discontinued and there is a chance they RISE in value when that happens.

I'm sure you are right that many luxury brands will be coming out with their own watch band. First of all it is going to be easy. It is just a band, clasp and the latch mechanism to connect to the watch. It will take their designers one day with an Apple watch in their hands to get the basics designed.

Then that simple band can get sold for a tremendous markup. The rewards are too easy to pass up.

So yes expect to see Kim Kardashian and her like with an Edition watch and custom Louis Vuitton brand (or such) band on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.