Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iAlan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 11, 2002
Everyonre is talking about new Apple this and that. Who says a keynote has to have a new product? What if Apple were to announce a tie up with Sony - whereby Sony would manafacture the new digital-hub devices for Apple's new iApps?

Think about it - some cross ownership in the two companies, and with Sony's consumer goods line up (including phones - which Sony is now partnering with Erricson in Japan, cameras - digital video and still, the PS2, and a variety of other potntital digital devices)..sounds like a good set up.

Apple cannot independantly develop a line of consumer digital-hub products - they need partners. How can they produce half of what we MacRumor members want.

Food for thought and have a safe and happy New year.

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
How would this benefit Sony? I'm not being a jerk, this is a serious question that I don't know the answer to.

Also, won't any Sony product work with your Mac anyway without being specifically designed for Apple? or are we talking some next level products?

springscansing

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2002
New York
For the last time.. Apple doesn't even like Sony that much since the whole i.Link fiasco.

I do not know why you all love Sony so much. They make the ****test audio products ever.

Their monitors are good though.

amnesiac1984

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2002
Europe
isn't sonyericsson completely seperate from sony now? Apple have as good as got into bed with SOnyEricsson but not Sony. If Sony wanted to make digital hub products then they would integrate with their own range of PC Desktops and Laptops, in fact they already do this pretty much with their NetMD walkmans and their bluetooth DV Camera's and I wouldn't be surprised if they released more and more consumer electronics products designed to work with their or other manufacturers PC's, but not Apples. Philips is a far more likely candidate to become Apple's Consumer Electronics Partner, especially as they do not really make any computers themselves. We have seen signs of this already with Rendezvous! Just my .02

ColdAngel

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2002
France
Not an option

It's not possible, Sony have it's own computer and their notebook are good( ok not best have default but anyway good), good loking( different style) and they sold very well.
The already have NetMD has say above and digital camera, video etc...
They already have a digital hub and a cheaper one so its note an option

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Sony was the most non-mac-friendly company out there, but they had great products. That was the reason for the "strategic partnership". We won't see any significant trade of technology other that drivers and compatitbility.

just my opinion.

iAlan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 11, 2002
I hear what you are all saying, Sony may not have a strong track record in some areas in the past - too much emphasis on expanding product lines without quality or innovation.

That all changed when they entered the computer market (although they do have way toooo many Vaio models out there at the moment). Yeah, NetMD was an interesting 'idea' but it has not really taken off because it is Sony specific, not PC specific. Also, it has it's limitations.

Sony DV cameras are great (video and still) and they are rumored to be working on a series of consumer devices revolving around a PC. If they make these and only for Vaio products they have a small market . They may not want to make these compatable with all PC as they will then compete with their own Vaio sales (can you say Power Computing....), but they are a company and they are in business to make money, so why not offer products on an alternative platform?

I do not think PC switchers are leaving Sony, I think they are leaving the non-innovative box makers. If Sony offer their digital-hub devices for both Vaio and Apple products, they will not loose out. Apple wants a DV still camera, Apple wants other high quality digital devices - but does not have the infastructure to actually make these...they need someone they can work closely with...on a variety of product lines.

iAlan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 11, 2002
Sorry for the double post...

Apple will not 'make' all the digital hub devices being developed/rumored/wished for....they will be Apple branded products (maybe a phone - branded, a camera - branded, you get the picture...)

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
iAlan, you forget. if apple were to have outsiders actually put the things together then it would probably loose its niceness.

now really, apples IMO are only as good as they are becuase of the OS and interface. apple manufactures very little when it comes to the macs. it is the intergration between OS and box that makes the difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.