Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DominusNovus

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Well, I'm new to the boards, so hello, hi, pleased to meet you all, etc. etc.

Anyway, on to my question. Obviously, the consensus on gaming with the new iMacs is, well, "don't." I'm still heartbroken that there wasn't even one upgrade option for the graphics card on the iMacs, but I'll get over it somehow. However, I'm really in the market to get a new computer (I've got one of the old 1.6 Ghz PowerMac G5s, bought back in October '03), and I'm not interested in getting spending the extra money on a PowerMac just so I can game.

The way I figure it, when I do play games on my computer (something I do less and less as time goes by, just as my interests in life diversify), its usually strategy and RPG games. Civilization, Europa Universalis (and its Paradox kin), Knights of the Old Republic, Rollercoaster Tycoon, Sims, etc. etc. Not heavy duty graphics stuff for the most part. Hell, I still play Escape Velocity Nova from time to time (if only people would keep making worthwhile addons, like they did with the original 2 games).

So, the first question, is my assumption that I can get away with playing strategy and RPG games on the new iMac halfway decently, a correct assumption?

Question two is the one that makes me, well, apprehensive. I just know that Starcraft 2 is going to be a bit of a heavyweight when it comes out. I love Blizzard for taking care of us precious few Mac gamers (though I'll never understand why they do it), but does anyone think the game will run to any satisfaction on the new iMacs, when it comes out?

Or, maybe I'll just buy my iMac, wait for a version with a better graphics card to come out between now and then, and then ride my flying pig over to the apple store and get that. Assuming I could even afford to do that. :eek:

Thanks for any and all replies, including any of the "Don't even bother man, go PC, Jobs is gonna screw us gamers over forever" variety. :rolleyes:

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
The current iMac will be fine for the games you mention though watch out for some heavyweights like Supreme Commander and Company of Heroes.

RTS games are mostly CPU dependant and thankfully Apple still offers a moderate value as far as CPUs go in their iMacs.

And I don't know where you guys get this notion but Starcraft II doesn't look demanding AT ALL, given that and considering the developer is Blizzard I think its safe to say Starcraft II will be friendly to lower performing hardware.

Take a look at Supreme Commander, Company of Heroes and Command & Conquer 3 and then come back to me with a straight face and say Starcraft II looks demanding.

DominusNovus

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
And I don't know where you guys get this notion but Starcraft II doesn't look demanding AT ALL, given that and considering the developer is Blizzard I think its safe to say Starcraft II will be friendly to lower performing hardware.

I find its better to err on the side of pessimism. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.