Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Bye, bye Strava

There is a bug in the Strava watch app causing the problem you describe. I started a recording session yesterday from the watch and it never recorded anything.

I use Strava a lot for very short bike rides (under 2 mi), so I was looking forward to being able to start and stop recording sessions from the watch. It's not there yet.

Oh, okay. Now I know what to do . . . I'll just delete the app until they "get there". It's no use to me in it's current state.
Thanks for your input :)

cjking2007

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2014
Michigan
I tried to use this when cycling today. First, it's a pain in the butt to have to sign in on your iPhone first. At the end of my ride I noticed that Strava didn't record anything. I saw no option to "finish" and only the option to record a new ride . . . WTH :confused:
I'm glad that I had my Garmin bike computer for the ride. My intent was to compare results on both but there was nothing to compare. Granted it might have been a result of a human error. I might give Strava a try again.

I am also using a Garmin for running and a Cyclops Joule for cycling. I love my Apple watch but there is no way I can easily use it for running or biking now. Perhaps after a few updates it will work better for those activities.

Javabird

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2015
Can someone please explain how this works? I've been using Runkeeper for my bike rides - it has been working fine for me on the iPhone as I'm not an experienced bike rider and I just want to track my miles and routes for now. I tried it yesterday on a short ride with my Watch and the data showed up in Health - but it didn't show any exercise in the Activity app. I was really disappointed as I have been working to fill in those circles every day :)

So do I just have to use one app or the other? Or can I run them both at the same time?

Fiestaman

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2009
ISmoothRun hands down. Other apps mentioned aren't even a contest. Currently using the Apple Watch beta app and it is phenomenal. Want to export all your activity data to 15+ sites? No problem. I export the data to Smashrun, Runkeeper, Strava, MapMyRun, Etc. and backs up to my Dropbox too.

----------

So do I just have to use one app or the other? Or can I run them both at the same time?

You have to run both. Only the watch activity shows up in the Activity app.

----------

+1!
And per the Developer, Watch companion App coming very soon

Ask to access the beta. I've been using it for a week now. It has their Watch companion app. Pretty slick.

Tmdlkwd

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2014
SoCal
ISmoothRun hands down. Other apps mentioned aren't even a contest. Currently using the Apple Watch beta app and it is phenomenal. Want to export all your activity data to 15+ sites? No problem. I export the data to Smashrun, Runkeeper, Strava, MapMyRun, Etc. and backs up to my Dropbox too.

----------

You have to run both. Only the watch activity shows up in the Activity app.

----------

Ask to access the beta. I've been using it for a week now. It has their Watch companion app. Pretty slick.

Same here:cool:

Beta App using as well
Really like so far

PatrickNSF

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
ISmoothRun hands down.
Agreed. It far exceeds the other apps I've tried – Nike+, RunKeeper (the worst) and Endomondo. Plus, it automatically exports to Garmin and Nike+, among others.

I bought the app years ago before buying my first Garmin GPS watch, and it's amazing what they've done with it. It's eminently customizable.

The only downside at this point – other than all the WatchKit limitations – is visibility of the text on the data screens while running in full sun. The text is a bit small, and the fonts are too thin. I find the Nike+ screen the easiest to read outside. But the iSmoothRun Watch app for me seems more reliable.

srshaw

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
I'm still using Garmin devices for running and cycling (620/910xt and 810). I had used a vivofit for fitness monitoring, but this is now done with my Apple watch. What do you think the chances are of Apple and garmin ecosystems being able to work together in the future? Unfortunately I think I know what the answer to this will be.

My ideal scenario would be activity tracked on my Apple watch appearing in Garmin connect since this is where I have recorded exercise you many years. I presume as it is activities recorded in strava on the apple watch could be imported into garmin connect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.