Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chublet

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2018
I currently have Apple TVs set up both at home and at my holiday home. For the last couple of years I have been watching content stored on my home iMac remotely by using Air Video Server and its associated TVOs app, this hasn't worked too badly.

Unfortunately, it looks like these apps are not being developed any more and I am starting to have problems - Air Video HD doesn't natively support e-AAc audio but this can be got around by installing VLC on my iMac at home. It also doesn't seem to support H265 and as I have converted all m,y movies to this format it is a big problem for me.

So, that is the background, here is the question - does anyone know of a TVOs/iOs app that will allow me to watch my stored content remotely on my Apple TV, I would have thought there was a big market for this so cannot work out why I cannot find one!

Any and all advice appreciated...

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
i also use plex to support remote streaming. A standard plex installation needs a server in my case I use a mac mini. You need nothing extra to stream remotely just any client which can run on Apple TV, ROKU, PC, Nvidia shield tv etc. Other than setting up remote access to the server it just works.

chublet

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2018
I did take a look at plex but for some reason I cannot get remote access despite putting in the relevant router settings, I can access my cctv cameras and plenty of other stuff remotely but plex has me stumped unfortunately

chublet

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2018
I use Plex to steam my content remotely although none of it was purchased on iTunes.
i have managed to sort out my network issue, does it cost anything to stream to a remote apple tv, do i need plex pass etc?

Doug Hope

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2014
Edinburgh
No I used plex for a while before getting a plex pass and it was only so I could set up separate user accounts. It doesn't cost anything to use plex locally or remotely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.