Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CaryChauvet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2016
San Francisco
I can't find an answer and I hope it is an easy one. The iPad Pro (12.9") and the Mac Pro are both sync'd to home sharing. On the iPad Pro I see my one playlist and on my Mac Pro I see a larger library. I want to play music from my Mac Pro iTunes library and have it play out of the iPad - so I can carry the iPad with me when I am in different rooms.

But I can't get the audio to play out of the iPad instead of the big speakers attached to the Mac Pro. Is home sharing only one way?

Update: none of the "Similar Threads" offered answer the question or provide an adequate answer. (I don't want to buy a bluetooth speaker, airport express and play through that, I want to play THROUGH the iPad.

Last edited:

CaryChauvet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2016
San Francisco
"In the App Store it says it does. But it's not working on my ipad. On the web it has been asked a hundred times with no answer to any of them." seems to be the truth. No, you cannot stream music from your Mac Pro over wifi and play it through your iPad when using home sharing. Why did they do this?

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
"In the App Store it says it does. But it's not working on my ipad. On the web it has been asked a hundred times with no answer to any of them." seems to be the truth. No, you cannot stream music from your Mac Pro over wifi and play it through your iPad when using home sharing. Why did they do this?
Your confusing music library sharing with streaming audio.

reel2reel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009

I've used StreamToMe for the past three years or so and it's awesome. You just install the ServeToMe app on your Mac Pro and then StreamToMe on whatever devices you want to stream to. I'm not at home right now to confirm, but pretty sure it plays all my FLAC files just fine (if you're into that). Definitely streams all my itunes files, music and video, plus MKV video files. Nice simple GUI, too.

Hope that helps.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
I can't find an answer and I hope it is an easy one. The iPad Pro (12.9") and the Mac Pro are both sync'd to home sharing. On the iPad Pro I see my one playlist and on my Mac Pro I see a larger library. I want to play music from my Mac Pro iTunes library and have it play out of the iPad - so I can carry the iPad with me when I am in different rooms.

But I can't get the audio to play out of the iPad instead of the big speakers attached to the Mac Pro. Is home sharing only one way?

Update: none of the "Similar Threads" offered answer the question or provide an adequate answer. (I don't want to buy a bluetooth speaker, airport express and play through that, I want to play THROUGH the iPad.
Home sharing is used from within the Music app on iPad. You have to have iTunes loaded on your Mac to act as server.
In the app, look under Library>Home Sharing and you should find you server listed under the name you have in iTunes sharing preferences.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.