Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Uplift

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2011
UK
Has anyone managed to successfully stream XBOX ONE to Mac?

I have a Remote Play app for PS4 which works amazing, It looks like the XBOX equivalent is only available on Windows.

I can see two alternatives...

1. Install Windows in Bootcamp and run it from Windows on that.
2. Install Parallels and run it from Mac in virtualization.

Both may present problems.

1. I seem to remember reading that Bootcamp is not supported on Macs running High Sierra on APFS (for now), is this accurate? If so... Would I reliably be able to run Windows from an external SSD of sorts? Not really ideal.

2. Potential issues with latency or hardware due to virtualisation?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Uplift

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2011
UK
I have elgato capture card and it works flawlessly with my PS4. And I can record the gameplay or even stream it.
Check this out.

Thanks for the suggestion, my first thought was NO as I'd like it to be wireless... The more I think about it, I love the idea that I'd be able to hook this up to my Switch and XBOX... or basically anything and have it displayed on my Mac... I'll need a long USB-C cable, not ideal but could be the perfect trade-off... also removes the need to buy software, windows etc...

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I have an older 2011 iMac, tried using parallels it was playable but a bit too slow and laggy for me.

I purchased a cheap ($60) Windows 10 tablet, paired it with a otg cable, a ac WiFi USB adapter, and a Bluetooth version of the xbox one controller.

Once I finally figured out how to update windows to the latest version, it works well using it as a portable screen around the house.

I would prefer a native macOS app, or better yet streaming to iPad type system, but this low cost setup is working for now.

Uplift

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2011
UK
I have an older 2011 iMac, tried using parallels it was playable but a bit too slow and laggy for me.

I purchased a cheap ($60) Windows 10 tablet, paired it with a otg cable, a ac WiFi USB adapter, and a Bluetooth version of the xbox one controller.

Once I finally figured out how to update windows to the latest version, it works well using it as a portable screen around the house.

I would prefer a native macOS app, or better yet streaming to iPad type system, but this low cost setup is working for now.

Thanks, I think I'll skip Parallels and aim for either Windows bootcamp or the Elgato capture card.

mpConroe

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2017
Arbroath (UK) / Wroclaw (PL)
I was playing Zelda today using my new Nintendo Switch and it works really good. I experienced one crash of the app, but thankfully it was during the setting up process. Otherwise - it works flawlessly. I will be doing recording of the gameplay soon. The games looks so beautiful on the iMac display - it's stunning and unusual experience.

I wouldn't go with Bootcamp, better go with xBox One + elgato capture card.

Uplift

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2011
UK
I was playing Zelda today using my new Nintendo Switch and it works really good. I experienced one crash of the app, but thankfully it was during the setting up process. Otherwise - it works flawlessly. I will be doing recording of the gameplay soon. The games looks so beautiful on the iMac display - it's stunning and unusual experience.

Thank you i'm sold :D

Reactions: mpConroe

Uplift

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2011
UK

Quick [possibly stupid] question, is the USB cable USB-C at both ends? and how long is it?

I've been looking for a long USB-C cable but it doesn't look like they exist. I'd need it to trail a couple of meters from my TV to where I sit in the room. I wouldn't want to move the consoles each time.

[edit] i've answered my first question by watching a video... Its USB C to standard USB, unfortunately still can't find a long enough cable.

Last edited:

mpConroe

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2017
Arbroath (UK) / Wroclaw (PL)
Yeah it's a USB-A to USB-C cable. It's connected to my iMac. just like it is in the 9to5toys video. But I have to change the HDMI cable every time I want to change the console (PS4 vs Switch). I'm thinking about getting an HDMI switch.

Uplift

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2011
UK
Yeah it's a USB-A to USB-C cable. It's connected to my iMac. just like it is in the 9to5toys video. But I have to change the HDMI cable every time I want to change the console (PS4 vs Switch). I'm thinking about getting an HDMI switch.

I just wanted to say the Elgato worked great, I tried a few cheaper alternatives and they were all rubbish or didn't work at all... finally a good deal for the HD60 S come round so I grabbed it and it works flawlessly. I've only tried the Switch so far.

Thanks for the suggestion.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I just wanted to say the Elgato worked great, I tried a few cheaper alternatives and they were all rubbish or didn't work at all... finally a good deal for the HD60 S come round so I grabbed it and it works flawlessly. I've only tried the Switch so far.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks for the heads up on this - will keep this solution in mind when looking for a good HDMI capture unit that will pass video through with minimal latency...

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I haven’t had problems streaming from Xbox One to Win 10 in a Parallels VM.

Will try it on my Scorpio over the weekend.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I haven’t had problems streaming from Xbox One to Win 10 in a Parallels VM.

Will try it on my Scorpio over the weekend.

Please do. My iMac is on it's last legs I think, so I am starting to explore my options once my iMac has a complete failure. I would like something I could plug both consoles & a mac into, but I may look into this is a retna iMac makes more sense.

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009

What kind of lag is there?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.