Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mihll

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2014
I am thinking about buying Apple TV 4K for my parents so that they can easily watch photos and most importantly videos that they took on their iPhones. From what I found on reddit and other sources, It seems that the Photos app on the Apple TV does not stream the videos in 4k resolution from the cloud (it would be pretty horrible to watch beautiful 4K videos took on the latest iPhone in 720p). And it seems that the HDR is also not supported in such case? Is it still the case on the latest hardware (Apple TV 4K 3rd gen) and software (tvOS 17)? Does anyone has this use case and can share their experience? I would not want to spend 130+ USD just to watch videos in low resolution.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
A video taken with an iPhone 15 ProMax plays in 4K and HDR on a 4k 3rd generation.

Results from other sources may not work. Apple video streaming has limited codec support. You need something like Plex for some codecs, but that is a whole different ball game.

Try it out. If it doesn't work you can return it within 14 days.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
You would need to contact Apple in my opinion because whilst the Apple TV may support 4K video watching it does not mean all the apps it uses support 4K. Or visit an Apple store that is demo'ing 4K Apple TV and ask them to demonstrate the photo app and see it in use. If Apple want a sale I am sure they would help you out with your inquiries.

cookiemonster89

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2012
On my Apple TV 4K the video plays in Dolby Vision but I cannot be full resolution. I often get weird artefacts while watching a video (e.g. if you have fine strcutres like waves in the ocean in the frame).

If I stream the downloaded video in full resolution via AirPlay the video looks she so much better. I don't know why you cannot choose the quality of the stream.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
On my Apple TV 4K the video plays in Dolby Vision but I cannot be full resolution. I often get weird artefacts while watching a video (e.g. if you have fine strcutres like waves in the ocean in the frame).

If I stream the downloaded video in full resolution via AirPlay the video looks she so much better. I don't know why you cannot choose the quality of the stream.

Same. Had this issue for as long as I can remember.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.