Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cheddar-caveman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
I have a Samsung Sm art TV and can connect my MacBook Pro directly to it via Bluetooth, great picture and sound.

I have tried connecting my iPhone to the TV but only get iTunes, no picture, no screen.

Is there any way to connect iPhone to TV and get the screen showing?

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
Hi, yes, your TV needs to support AirPlay 2. Mine is a bit old now, so I decided to get a little Apple TV box a while back, and I love it! Works perfectly with my iPhone and Mac and the user interface is indescribably better and faster in every single way compared to the crappy interface on my LG smart TV. AirPlay works over wifi, not bluetooth. I'm guessing that your TV is not AirPlay 2-compatible, so the way I see it, your best bet would probably be to either invest in a new AirPlay 2-compatible smart TV, or get a significantly cheaper Apple TV to use with your current TV... Btw., personally I wouldn't bother with the new Apple TV 4K, as the old Apple TV 4K is even better in many ways, and of course cheaper.

EDIT: You might want to check out this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...e-the-m1.2293120/?post=29814295#post-29814295 and the video:

Last edited:

ParagJain

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
I have a Samsung Sm art TV and can connect my MacBook Pro directly to it via Bluetooth, great picture and sound.

I have tried connecting my iPhone to the TV but only get iTunes, no picture, no screen.

Is there any way to connect iPhone to TV and get the screen showing?
Can you please explain how you have done this; I have LG smart tv but, unable to connect without apple TV.
thx

cheddar-caveman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
My TV has Apple AirPlay ?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-04-29 at 21.11.43.png
    Screenshot 2021-04-29 at 21.11.43.png
    716.6 KB · Views: 58
Reactions: ParagJain

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
I was so happy when you stated Airplay… then went to my tv and it doesnt work. Came back here and yeah turns out its Airplay 2…

Sorry man… ?‍♂️ There’s another option that I haven’t tried, so I don’t actually know if it works (well): But maybe you can stream content from your iPhone or iPad through AirPlay to a Mac and then get that content displayed on your TV from the Mac through either HDMI or Bluetooth…

Otherwise, you really might want to consider getting a little Apple TV box… it’s not that expensive… and like I mentioned before, you don’t need to get the newest one.

Reactions: Spetsgruppa

Spetsgruppa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2021
Sorry man… ?‍♂️ There’s another option that I haven’t tried, so I don’t actually know if it works (well): But maybe you can stream content from your iPhone or iPad through AirPlay to a Mac and then get that content displayed on your TV from the Mac through either HDMI or Bluetooth…

Otherwise, you really might want to consider getting a little Apple TV box… it’s not that expensive… and like I mentioned before, you don’t need to get the newest one.
its alright lol.my bad for not reading the entire post.btw the latest Apple TV Box 6th Gen is on Pre Order now in Indonesia.Costs USD$172...i might get it when i have the money.But for now my Samsung can do the job.Or i could sell my Samsung to get an Apple Watch and Apple TV Box :D

Reactions: Barbareren

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
its alright lol.my bad for not reading the entire post.btw the latest Apple TV Box 6th Gen is on Pre Order now in Indonesia.Costs USD$172...i might get it when i have the money.But for now my Samsung can do the job.Or i could sell my Samsung to get an Apple Watch and Apple TV Box :D

? The box really isn’t that expensive, haha. Just get a used Apple TV 4K (the previous model)… It’s the one I have, and I would never upgrade to the new one because of all the limitations mentioned in the video above, and because I enjoy being able to use the control for playing the occasional driving game like Asphalt ?

cheddar-caveman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
My query resolved by ME with a bit of searching, and it's surprisingly simple.
Make sure iPhone and TV are on the same Wi-Fi network.
On iPhone swipe up from the bottom of screen and there is a "Screen Mirroring" button.
Click on that and the TV appears.
Click on the TV and your phone screen appears on the TV screen.
Simple!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.