Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elevation05

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2008
Hi all,

Looking to crowdsource some ideas. We are trying to stream live audio from one room to another across a local-only* wireless network.

*this is of particular relevance as we have had issues with getting certain devices, especially iOS ones to stay on a local-only network.

We are looking to use a MacBook Pro as the source/sender, which takes a feed from our PA desk into a USB sound card (a Behringer UCA202).

What we have tried:
1) VLC - this supposedly allows you to stream any file or capture device across a network, for example capturing your sound card and making it available via a HTTP stream which we can then receive using any other device able to access such streams (often a version of VLC on a mobile/tablet). We managed to get this working really well using VLC on Windows and receiving on VLC for Android (tablet - Nexus 7), but with VLC on Mac we had major issues. The rest of our workflow for presentations etc. is all based on Mac, so we really want to get it working on that machine. Often the stream refuses to start, giving constant errors. On the one occasion I did managed to make it work (I've still yet to work out how), the audio stream seemed to be pitch shifted lower and slowed down. :-/

2) Airfoil (Rogue Amoeba) - this was quite promising as it's really simple to use, but this time we had issues on the receiving end (using Airfoil Speakers app). The iPad (fully updated) we tried refused to stay on our local-only network and I could not find a way to stop it disconnecting. Even then, often it would fail to locate new receivers on the network. The Android Nexus 7 we tried would just crash when the stream tried to start. Bit disappointed as we had paid for this.

So, any bright ideas or alternatives before we give in and go to a wired, non-computer based solution? (The room layout makes this less appealing, but if needs must...)

Regards,

Stephen

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I don't know why the iPad won't stay on the local network. Is it a cellular data capable model? Is there another network in range that it "knows"?

You tried Airfoil but did you try Nicecast? Nicecast doesn't rely on a proprietary client app to stream the audio.

elevation05

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2008
I don't know why the iPad won't stay on the local network. Is it a cellular data capable model? Is there another network in range that it "knows"?

You tried Airfoil but did you try Nicecast? Nicecast doesn't rely on a proprietary client app to stream the audio.

I hadn't thought about using Nicecast (or really heard of it before)... would that work on a local-only network? Presumably I can connect to it on it's internal IP address and it'll work the same as though I was using Internet radio. What sort of client apps are available for the various platforms? They have a trial (limited to 60 min broadcast) version so may give it a crack.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Stephen
[doublepost=1481629892][/doublepost]
Yeah, it's annoying to try to get an iOS device to stay on a designated network. You could forget the other one, but that's annoying as well. You could try the solutions mentioned here: http://nootrix.com/software/prioritize-wifi-on-iphone/

You'd have to get the iPhone Configurator: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207133

It's a pain alright. :D

Does this also conquer the problem of it not detecting an Internet connection (there isn't one) and the device 'helpfully' assuming I'm not on the right network?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I hadn't thought about using Nicecast (or really heard of it before)... would that work on a local-only network? Presumably I can connect to it on it's internal IP address and it'll work the same as though I was using Internet radio. What sort of client apps are available for the various platforms? They have a trial (limited to 60 min broadcast) version so may give it a crack.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Stephen
[doublepost=1481629892][/doublepost]

It's a pain alright. :D

Does this also conquer the problem of it not detecting an Internet connection (there isn't one) and the device 'helpfully' assuming I'm not on the right network?

The Nicecast app gives the local network address of the m3u stream for clients to connect. I guess any app that can connect to an m3u stream would work.

You should give the server Mac a static IP on the local network either by using DHCP reservations on the router (my preference) or in the Mac's Network preferences (easier). If you do it on the Mac, make the IP address's last set of digits something out of the lower range (i.e. 192.168.1.90) to help avoid an IP conflict.

I'd be surprised if any device loses its wifi connection while the stream is active if the wifi signal is of sufficient strength.

Reactions: elevation05
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.