Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dennya

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Seattle-ish
When traveling and taking only one device, I usually opt for my Surface Book or MacBook Air 11 because it's so easy to use a DisplayPort -> HDMI cable to watch TV on hotel TVs.

Wouldn't mind the option to take the iPad Pro instead, but the TV output story is more complicated.

I have a Chromecast, but haven't found a good way to stream videos stored on the iPad to it.

So looks like <$100 my choices are:
  • Lightning Digital AV adapter
  • Apple TV (3rd gen)
  • Chromecast or Fire TV with appropriate apps
I wonder if the Apple TV is a better option than the Lightning adapter? The old model is only $20 more, and I could use it wirelessly. Does it depend on the hotel WiFi if I'm just using it for Airplay, or can I stream directly from the iPad? Looks small enough to bring along pretty easily.

I don't suppose there are any good apps for streaming directly from the iPad to the Chromecast I already have or to a $39 Fire TV Stick?

(I had the old AV adapter for my dock connector iPad. It worked okay, but was a bit quirky to use.)

Cascades42

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2016
UK
I always carry a matchbox sized router (it's a HooToo) which I use to create my own wireless network. It means I can connect whatever devices I like and not worry about other traffic on the network (I rarely connect it to the actual Internet). I like the Apple TV option personally just because I've also used it for presenting.

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
You don't need a network connection to use the Apple TV and the degradation in the image quality will also happen if you use the Lightning AV adaptor anyway as it also transcodes the signal.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
I would recommend the Apple TV on the condition you don't need to mirror your screen with it. Mirroring can be laggy and annoying even on good connections.

But if you're gonna straight AirPlay Netflix and Hulu type stuff, you should be good as long as you have a wifi connection. I love mine.

dennya

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Seattle-ish
Thanks! So it sounds like Apple TV's not a great solution if I'm playing MP4s from my iPad Pro.

Really like this thing, but it's no replacement for my MacBook Air or Surface Book, it seems!

Beavix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2010
Romania
Thanks! So it sounds like Apple TV's not a great solution if I'm playing MP4s from my iPad Pro.

Wait, how did you come to that conclusion? The Apple TV is perfect for streaming videos to the TV. You don't even need an existing WiFi network for this to work.

Reactions: LiveM

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
The Apple TV is handy because you don't need an Internet connection, or a network at all for that matter, to play anything that's stored locally on your iPad or iPhone. They'll form a direct peer to peer connection with each other. There's any number of apps available that will play pretty much any format you need, plus you can use it at home if you like.

If you want to stick with Chromecast, I think something like StreamCast should fill your needs, though I'm not sure if it sends direct or if both devices need to be connected to a network.

The Lightning adapter is also a decent choice. There's no faffing, just plug it in and connect to HDMI, jobs done. And while the Lightning adapter does use much of the same technology as AirPlay, it doesn't actually use AirPlay itself and the compression tends not to be as bad.

Personally I've never had any issue with quality on either Apple TV with AirPlay or the Lightning adapter, I've been using both for many years. Yes there's some degree of compression going on, but it's really not that drastic and you'll also get that streaming to the Chromecast from iOS apps playing locally stored content.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

Playing MP4s should be fine as long as you are streaming it from Video app or another media player app. Just don't try to mirror the iPad.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
Surely an iPad pro at arms length is going to be as big (or bigger) than the usual small hotel TVs?

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
Small TVs in hotels are pretty much a thing of the past now they are so cheap, light and energy-efficient. Using an iPad is not ergonomically desirable or easy on the eyes, and hard to share.

Last edited:

nbourbaki

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2015
CVG, CPH, BOS
Small TVs in hotels are pretty much a thing of the past now they are so cheap, light and energy-efficient. Using an iPad is not ergonomically desirable or easy on the eyes, and hard to share.

Now if hotels would make it just a little easier to connect an HDMI input, it would be great. In many countries in Europe and Asia, both Starwood & Marriott properties make it stupid simple to connect an HDMI source. In North America it's completely the other way, they do everything they can think of to restrict access. They just don't want any competition with their PPV.

Reactions: LiveM
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.