Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

homeshire

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Ohio, looking toward Germany
i've just discovered that quicktime seems to have no channels available for streaming. i used to have npr bookmarked in favorites, and when i went to it, it was gone. went to refetch it, and discovered that nothing seems available. sometimes qt says their channels have changed, and i need to update existing software. but when i try, there's nothing there. does anyone know what's going on? :( i don't understand. thanks

homeshire

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
no proxies, no firewalls. just me at home. i really find this strange, and cannot figure it out. of course it's possible i'm just not seeing something, but by god there ain't no streaming radio channels in qt anymore. where did they go? :confused:

pretentious

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2002
"Reality"
I don't listen to NPR, but a simple Google search gave me this:
From MacNN
A MacNN reader forwarded a note from NPR about its decision to drop QuickTime streaming from its Internet services: "For several years, npr.org has been offering some of our audio in QuickTime, but recently the arrangement between Apple and NPR expired. During the last several months, Apple and NPR have tried to work out the terms to renew that arrangement, but were unable to come to an agreement. It doesn't reflect on Apple's technology -- business and legal issues alone have led to this outcome."

So it looks bad, but the same Google search also brought up this NPR site, that has a quicktime stream, but sadly its not a live stream.

Hope this helps

homeshire

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
pretentious --

thanks for your effort. that explains npr, but i am sure i checked other stations also, just out of curiousity, and got the same result. i'll check again to see if i'm being lazy in my thinking.

otherwise, just wanna say that this sucks. i like a lot of streaming audio sources, and i prefer qt/itunes whenever possible. those choices seem to be winnowing, not expanding. :mad:

homeshire

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
right -- just tried 2-3 different ways to get some qt streams. indeed, i got a couple stations playing classical music (WGBH Boston, WCPE), but all the selections that were always there in the past are gone, e.g. npr, cnn, abc, bbc etc. either an error (-2129) on trying to open, or the blurb about channel selection having changed, please update your existing software. i have tried to update, and i assure, there are no updates available.

pretentious found an answer to npr, but what about the others? something is up. either apple failed in it's negotiations with seemingly everyone who streamed, or changes are afoot! just wish i knew what was up here. :confused:

pretentious

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2002
"Reality"
I think everyone is just gone WMP, and I at first thought it was maybe the price, but no a look at Apple's Quicktime Streaming Server site, it says its free and open-sourced.
So I'm guessing its just web-masters not wanting their visters to have to go and download the quicktime plug-in just to use the service, it would just be easyer for the site to use WMP and be done w/ 95% the computer population.

homeshire

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Originally posted by pretentious
I think everyone is just gone WMP, and I at first thought it was maybe the price, but no a look at Apple's Quicktime Streaming Server site, it says its free and open-sourced.
So I'm guessing its just web-masters not wanting their visters to have to go and download the quicktime plug-in just to use the service, it would just be easyer for the site to use WMP and be done w/ 95% the computer population.

oh how i hope you are wrong!!! what an impoverished world, when microsoft is the only choice! that is when i'll demure.

fortunately, despite it's low reputation in the mac world, realplayer is still an option, and as i use it extensively to listen to german streams, i guess it's no big deal to use it for my previous qt selections. :rolleyes:

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
RealPlayer is indeed very useful. It's the only player that runs on all 3 major platforms, and I don't have any problems with it (except that I wish the mouse would disappear when you go fullscreen, and when you close the player window, the whole app quits). I don't see why so many people dislike it, but I'm sure they've got their reasons.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.