Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michelle21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Well I'm really close to making a version of my new app available for testing.

But yesterday we posted a demo video to youtube, and at the same time to my gallery below.

You can find it on youtube under mooncatbastet

But here's the gallery link

http://gallery.mac.com/cannonwc#100026

btw: I at least think iphoto 08 and imovie 08 is pretty cool. Thats what I used to do part of the demo.:)

michelle21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
when will this be ready? and would I have to "hack" my phone to use it?

The bulk of the application is handled on the server, the ajax web 2.0 application is quite small and doesn't require any hacking, jailbreak or anything like that.

The app can be deployed on a local area network, if you play with the proxy config a little you can deploy it "elsewhere".

The application does not require any webserver, apache , tomcat or the like, just an executable for mac or windows.

The server is built in java and is quite small.

The ajax app is quite small, has configurable themes, and looks for upnp and bonjour resources on you network. Using bonjor allows for some unique abilities I believe. First and for most I should be able to get at any unencrypted daap content stored in itunes , but you can also use it as a kind of super bookmark, ie. say you had a wiki site on a static ip address , you could advertise that on the network and it would show in the browser. Yes this is the same tech iphoto, itunes etc. uses and I'm not sure why other apps don't, apple has whole sample projects for doing this kind of stuff. I need to carefully watch the load on the network before trying to deploy that feature, not sure what the effect on the nextwork will be with all those service registrations and text records.

Sorry you can see I'm really psyched with Iphone development. These apps cry out for a real sdk. I've work around so many safari problems to get this far.

As for availability

I have a college student, a job and 4.5 pets, dogs , cats and whatever.. so Its going to be a couple months..

But an alpha may be available as early as next week, and it will be on sourceforge and available for testing.

I'm going to try to get a web page up in the next couple days.

michelle21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
A few folks in this forum are working on video streaming similar to what I am doing. We are all trying to come up with a way to do playlists. Well in researching formats for my application, I may of stumbled onto something.

Some old documentation on darwin streaming server. I will be playing with this but it is a good starting point if someone wants to do some research.

Can I configure DSS to stream live mp3 streams to simulate a radio station to connected users?
Yes. Use the MP3Broadcaster that is part of DSS to broadcast mp3 v1, v2, and v2.3 files from a server side playlist to DSS. All files must have the same sample rate.

Can I configure DSS to stream live .mp4, .3gp, or .mov streams to simulate a radio or TV station to connected users?
Yes. Use the PlaylistBroadcaster that is part of DSS to stream hinted files from a server side playlist to DSS. All video files must have the same frame size and use the same codec and all audio files must have the same sample size and use the same codec.

Can I update the server side playlists while the playlist is being broadcast?
Yes. Replace the playlist file and add a playlist file using the playlist name and the extension “.updatelist” in the same directory as the playlist file.

Can I see what the upcoming files are while the server side playlist is playing?
Yes. Look for the file with the extensions “.upcoming” in the directory with the playlist.

Can I see the name of the current file being played by the server side playlist?
Yes. Look for a file with the extension “.current” in the directory with the playlist.

Can I tell the broadcaster to stop playing a playlist after 0 or more files?
Yes. Add a playlist file using the playlist name and the extension “.stoplist” in the same directory as the playlist file and it will be read at the next song and then deleted. The broadcast will stop playing at the end of the stoplist.

Can I temporarily insert a set of files into the playlist while it is playing?
Yes. Add a playlist file with the playlist name and the extension “.insertlist” in the same directory as the playlist file and its list will be insert at the end of the next song and then deleted. The broadcast will revert back to the original

Dss may be a backdoor approach to playlists, it has several experimental modules in its samples directory.

Dss can be configured to do rstp over http streaming.

Dss can be configured to act as a relay for other servers.

michelle21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Impressive stuff, nice find!

Thanks, wish I could of tested it but it was close to midnight, I don't think I sleep at all, between working, taking care of kids , playing with this stuff and partying ... Oh well .

In additional to my application I am working on I am really considering putting up a site dedicated to multimedia on the iphone and other web 2.0 enabled mobile platforms.

I really like this macRumors forum, and you can tell me if you disagree but I don't think it is the place to put the more technical aspects of what I would like to do... I have a lot of info.

The other thing is I have a lot of ideas, but not enough time. I am desperately going to need additional developers if I want to realize these ideas, the project is registered on sourceforge and they have a procedure for recruiting and working with other open source developers.

I would appreciate any feedback on the above, does a new site dedicated to multimedia development on these mobile platforms make sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.