Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pers0n

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2014
I've had Air Video HD and VidOn Server on my PC to use with streaming files from my PC to my iPad.

But are these even needed anymore? These programs/apps are old, like 2013-15 or so and I know there are some apps that kind of do this from a HDD on the network now. But somtimes they wont play audio or the video wont show.

Trying to figure out of this stuff is just the old way of doing things, as I have a lot of old apps on my iPad and need to reduce the unneeded outdated stuff?

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
How does that work please ?

nPlayer can connect to my network devices and I can play the videos directly within the nPlayer interface - don't have to copy them to the iPad. Note that I am talking about the iPad and NAS, etc. being on the same network, not a remote connection.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
nPlayer can connect to my network devices and I can play the videos directly - don't have to copy them to the iPad. Note that I am talking about the iPad and NAS, etc. being on the same network, not a remote connection.

Oh.

I was talking about a remote connection. Oh well.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Oh.

I was talking about a remote connection. Oh well.

Yeah, I never use a remote connection for streaming high-quality video, primarily because of bandwidth issues. I have most of my videos (ripped Blu-Rays primarily) also stored on a 4TB portable hard drive that I take on travel if I want the videos available. It directly connects to the iPad via a hub and nPlayer can stream from it.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
Yeah, I never use a remote connection for streaming high-quality video, primarily because of bandwidth issues. I have most of my videos (ripped Blu-Rays primarily) also stored on a 4TB portable hard drive that I take on travel if I want the videos available. It directly connects to the iPad via a hub and nPlayer can stream from it.

Ok np.

Strangely enough I got Air Video HD working again somehow with 4k video in x265 over 4g lte. Not sure how but I will take it.

Of course it is not streaming in original quality so it is putting a hurting on my pc at home. lol

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Ok np.

Strangely enough I got Air Video HD working again somehow with 4k video in x265 over 4g lte. Not sure how but I will take it.

Of course it is not streaming in original quality so it is putting a hurting on my pc at home. lol

Yeah, a lot of my travel (when I did travel) takes me to places where any connectivity is dicey if not nonexistent so I've come to assume no connection available and take what I may need/want on a physical device.

Reactions: max2

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
Yeah, a lot of my travel (when I did travel) takes me to places where any connectivity is dicey if not nonexistent so I've come to assume no connection available and take what I may need/want on a physical device.

Got you.

That sucks. Sometimes getting online is a requirement.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
I thought years about this topic and always wonder if the person is really the developer of one of those apps ?

pers0n

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2014
I'm not the developer for those apps. I still use Vidon and sometimes the native ipadOS Files app will play my files. Air Video is only useful if you have the files on a laptop or computer and need to stream to the iPad, but I have an external HDD on my network now, so I don't use it anymore.

I also have VLCStreamer Pro and VLC, I forget which one used to allow you to stream DVDs off a PC to your iPad. Needless to say I don't use that anymore as I don't have any DVDs these days.

I also have zFuse, but I forget why I even installed it. I just learned to keep these apps around as they work and so many out there just dont.

avmsam

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2013
Toronto, ON
i'm looking for an air video hd alternative. i switched phones recently and it won't install airvideo hd. it says not in app store anymore.

for me i want something that has the mac server app and client app on iPhone & appletv. i love the simplicity of airvideo hd. just point the server to a few folders and done. on client app it just shows it how it is as folders & files, no trying to be a library with metadata and all that.

i use plex too but not for what i use airvideo hd for.

the airvideo hd server app on mac still works btw just the client iOS app doesn't. is there an app for iOS that would work with the air video hd server app ?

anything else out there that has simple server app for mac and simple folders & files layout for client iOS app ?

can we pull the airvideo hd .ipa file from somewhere like an old iTunes backup and sideload it onto iPhone or anything like that ?

or is there some simple way to do this for video from mac to iPhone & appletv that i'm unaware of ?

avmsam

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2013
Toronto, ON
The app is back on my phone & working !

So when it went away the app icon remained on my phone but had a little cloud icon next to the name. If you clicked on the app it would try to download but then fail and ask if you want to keep or delete it. I always chose keep.

Every so often I would click on it and would try to download and fail and ask keep or delete. I clicked randomly tonight and it actually downloaded and the app works now !

I tried searching on the the app store but it doesn't come up but I'm also not scrolling too much down in the list of results. No clue if I got lucky or if it's back on App Store or just a glitch and it'll be gone again but for now it's back on my phone and working.

Attachments

• IMG_5144.jpeg
    IMG_5144.jpeg
    646.1 KB · Views: 35

Javier_D

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2023
The app is back on my phone & working !

So when it went away the app icon remained on my phone but had a little cloud icon next to the name. If you clicked on the app it would try to download but then fail and ask if you want to keep or delete it. I always chose keep.

Every so often I would click on it and would try to download and fail and ask keep or delete. I clicked randomly tonight and it actually downloaded and the app works now !

I tried searching on the the app store but it doesn't come up but I'm also not scrolling too much down in the list of results. No clue if I got lucky or if it's back on App Store or just a glitch and it'll be gone again but for now it's back on my phone and working.
I was using AVServerHD (MacPro) + AirVideo (iPad2). Now I'm trying to use it on the same Ipad but streaming from a Mac Studio. I was able to download "AirVideoFree" app in the iPad, and AVServerHD on the Mac Studio, but for some reason they both don't connect.

Is there any setting I should tweak on the Mac Studio? I don't remember doing something in the Mac Pro.
Is it something with the WIFI router?

Thanks in advance for any idea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.