Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
We're only three days away from Street Fighter 6 releasing! In preparation, Capcom made a PC benchmark tool to see if your PC is ready for the game

And I am all ready!

Screenshot_2023-05-29_130020.png

Last edited:

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
Ars did a pretty good review:

Not that I would know anything about Street Fighter II and chunking an untold number of quarters into a machine down at Shakey's Pizza...I mean, that was over 30 years ago...no way could I possibly be that old.... :p

Okay so Street Fighter 2 was kinda a mess. Some moves you just could not counter at all, such as throws. Grabbing and throwing was consider a forbidden art in arcades and fights would break out over it, so shortly after Capcom introduced Street Fighter 2 Turbo that fixed a lot of the issues, including adding staples of fighting games today like throw teching.

SF6 is basically reinventing what it means to be a fighting game, taking everything the genre has learned up to this point and refining it and adding new stuff. For example the new Modern Control style that does away with traditional motion inputs and simplifies all moves, however for some characters it may be disadvantageous such as for Ryu he loses some of his kicks in Modern Controls. Choosing your control style adds another tool for players to express themselves.

Another big addition is the ingame commentator, featuring commentary from actual commentators in the FGC. Your multiplayer matches commentated with proper commentary that can help you learn to be a better player

But a big thing that will help you learn be a better player is the new World Tour mode. On top of an already amazing fighting game, Capcom decided to add an entire single player open world RPG! The whole plot is you're making a character who has only one goal: to become the next world champion. You will travel the globe through different cities, meeting the "legendary fighters" which are the members of the actual roster such as Ryu, Luke, Chun Li, Blanka, and more, and training under them, learning their moves and fighting style, all the while fighting anyone (and anything) in the streets to become the best.

This game is gonna start a new golden age for the FGC.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Doesn't live up to the hype. Fight scene capped at 60fps while cut scenes can run at 120fps. Overall, looks more like mobile graphics with short draw distance where objects like people pop out of nowhere. Still prefer classic arcade street fighter on $25 Raspberry Pi 3A+. Too bad it's DirectX 12 so no go with MacOS Crossover otherwise Homey can chime in.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
Doesn't live up to the hype. Fight scene capped at 60fps while cut scenes can run at 120fps. Overall, looks more like mobile graphics with short draw distance where objects like people pop out of nowhere. Still prefer classic arcade street fighter on $25 Raspberry Pi 3A+. Too bad it's DirectX 12 so no go with MacOS Crossover otherwise Homey can chime in.

My guy, main fights are capped to 60FPS for competitive integrity reasons. Remember the game has crossplay with console. If PC players could go beyond 60FPS it would give them an unfair advantage against console warriors. Frame data is very important in fighting games, so to keep things fair multiplayer matches have to be capped to 60.

Don't worry, World Tour mode can go beyond 60 so for single player you're set.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
That's how I was seeing 120fps in the benchmark cut scenes. Playable demo is a better graphics representation than the benchmark which has cheesy cut scenes with mobile graphics. Just skip the benchmark and go straight to the playable demo since they're about the same download size.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Okay so Street Fighter 2 was kinda a mess. Some moves you just could not counter at all, such as throws. Grabbing and throwing was consider a forbidden art in arcades and fights would break out over it, so shortly after Capcom introduced Street Fighter 2 Turbo that fixed a lot of the issues, including adding staples of fighting games today like throw teching.

Oh I was there. I figured 'Turbo' was assumed. ;)

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
As we're only two days away from Street Fighter 6, this is your friendly reminder that no matter what platform you're gonna play the game on, Xbox, PlayStation, or PC, please please PLEASE use an ethernet cable instead of wifi. You will get much better network quality through wired and other players will thank you for it as they will have better network quality as well.

EWoEGw3VAA4AM9d.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.