Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PinballHack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
I was looking in the other forums and didn't see recommendations.

Okay, so you have a MBP (or thinking of buying one) and want some software that will run it flat out to the extremes. Not just a 24 hour burn in, but software that will test every hardware dimension of the MBP. I.e., run at 100% CPU, get those temps up, keep them there for hours, exhaustive (and real) memory tests, sound card, test video functions, get the little hard drive to glow, get wireless to fail, totally cycle the battery, etc.

Anybody can run a simple diagnostic test, but some problems might be intermittent and not show unless you stress test the machine for 2-3 days.

And if you discover a problem, what does Apple use? If the board swappers behind the counter simply boot the machine and call it good, that's gotta be frustrating to get your machine back and it not be repaired with a comment of "it passed our tests". (What tests?)

What do you recommend?

Thanks

Jack

Not-a-cliche

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2007
I was looking in the other forums and didn't see recommendations.

Okay, so you have a MBP (or thinking of buying one) and want some software that will run it flat out to the extremes. Not just a 24 hour burn in, but software that will test every hardware dimension of the MBP. I.e., run at 100% CPU, get those temps up, keep them there for hours, exhaustive (and real) memory tests, sound card, test video functions, get the little hard drive to glow, get wireless to fail, totally cycle the battery, etc.

Anybody can run a simple diagnostic test, but some problems might be intermittent and not show unless you stress test the machine for 2-3 days.

And if you discover a problem, what does Apple use? If the board swappers behind the counter simply boot the machine and call it good, that's gotta be frustrating to get your machine back and it not be repaired with a comment of "it passed our tests". (What tests?)

What do you recommend?

Thanks

Jack

Hmm, why get software to destroy your MacBook Pro when you have a good second story window? Good luck!

Seriously, why do you want to permanently damage a MacBook Pro like this?

PinballHack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
Hmm, why get software to destroy your MacBook Pro when you have a good second story window? Good luck!

Seriously, why do you want to permanently damage a MacBook Pro like this?

That made me laugh, thanks. It is a Macbook "PRO". It should be rugged and handle the tough stuff. At the price point it is offered, it is not a delicate little machine to only run 1-2 hours a day. This bad boy should be able to take the pounding of CPU intensive applications. (Okay, my opinion.)

So I want a software package that will test all the features. And not a wimpy little test or a reboot and call it good.

(You can tell I have sent a machine in only for the repair guys to say "we didn't see a problem, returned as-is." growl)

I must say, "World of Warcraft", with your character in a capital city comes close. But I'm sure there are better diagnostic/benchmark apps that will do it too, I want to hear what others and/or Apple is using.

Thanks

Jack

cogsinister

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2006
Fredericton NB Canada
Why do you want to run somthing so stressfull to your MBP that it could damage it ?

I know that the MBP is labled "pro" but its not a piece of military hardware....its just a laptop in a pretty alloy case........

Look after it don't run it to death with pointless stress tests that will just shorten its life.....

vicious7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2007
Jacked into the net...
My recommendation is daily pro use. I take my MBP every where from the dry heat of Las Vegas to the crippling cold of Baffin Island. And while I'm there or at locations in between, the MBP is running FF, PS and AI CS3, Lightroom, FCS 2 and iTunes (hell, you'd need music too if all you see is desert or ice). And so far, after only 3 months, the MBP seems to be taking it like a "pro".

Granted, I'm not throwing the notebook against walls, letting snow get into the machine or surfing the net underwater, but I think for what it is, the machine will work as long as it's taken care of properly.

And if you really want to stress it out, tell it that you want a divorce or that you are pregnant or that you are going to audit it, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.