Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puxao

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2024
Hello everyone. A few months ago I bought a mac pro from mid 2012, so I started to make hardware upgrades and left the change of graphics card for the end as it was the hardest thing to get (I'm looking for a Rx 580), I am very frustrated about this because, as I have read and seen, only the Sapphire model would work on the mac and so far I have not found any, I have seen sites like ebay, etc but taxes and international shipping to my country (🇨🇱) makes the price very expensive, so I was wondering if graphics cards from other brands like Asus, Msi, etc would work, because I have found many Rx 580 from different brands but nothing from sapphire😩. If anyone could give me some guidance I would really appreciate it.

mikiotty

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2014
Rome, Italy
Hello everyone. A few months ago I bought a mac pro from mid 2012, so I started to make hardware upgrades and left the change of graphics card for the end as it was the hardest thing to get (I'm looking for a Rx 580), I am very frustrated about this because, as I have read and seen, only the Sapphire model would work on the mac and so far I have not found any, I have seen sites like ebay, etc but taxes and international shipping to my country (🇨🇱) makes the price very expensive, so I was wondering if graphics cards from other brands like Asus, Msi, etc would work, because I have found many Rx 580 from different brands but nothing from sapphire😩. If anyone could give me some guidance I would really appreciate it.
I have an MSI Armor 580 8GB that works like a charm, and doesn’t require Pixlas mod for power (only single 8 pin)

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010

If you can flash the RX6600XT in a PC then it is a nice card. One of my 5,1 machines has a very nice Sapphire RX6600XT.

My other 5,1 has an XFX RX580 (the one with three display ports and 1 HDMI). That’s quite a useful card.

Those machines both run Monterey.

Reactions: MarkC426

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia

Asothers have said, plenty of brands will "work" - Apple had a technote listing about four different brands and models as "supported" and a bunch of others as "will probably work, be we haven't tested it". Sometimes there's issues about what models will come into what markets - eg here in Australia, the distributor for Sapphire never released the Pulse 580, deciding that the Nitro 580 covered the market segment, so I ended up having to buy one from New Zealand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.