Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

savoirfaire

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 23, 2003
New England
IMG_5869.jpeg
I am trying to swap out the original wifi card on a 5,1 Mac Pro to an updated combination 802.11ac Wifi/BT4 card. The first screw came out fine, but unfortunately, the second screw is in there really tight and ended up getting stripped. I tried using a flathead bit but it just ended up twisting the tip of the scredriver bit. Does anyone have any advice one getting the screw out? I don’t have a dremel or I would have tried that.

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
There are reverse-bits available . . . in lieu of that, try a pair of needle-nose pliers (or something-such-similar) to grip the circumference . . . three-degrees-at-a-time ;)

For ex.:

Reactions: savoirfaire

savoirfaire

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 23, 2003
New England
There are reverse-bits available . . . in lieu of that, try a pair of needle-nose pliers (or something-such-similar) to grip the circumference . . . three-degrees-at-a-time ;)

For ex.:

I tried the needle nose pliers but I couldn’t get the screw to turn at all. I do have a screw extractor kit but I don’t think it has a small enough one for a little computer screw. I’ll have to take a look when I get back home.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Needle nose pliers are the way to go for those, you need to grip the screw very tightly. It's probably worth using the needle nose pliers as a start to get the screw loose.

The bluetooth antenna (the one at the back of the case) is also equally tight and is a very soft headed screw.

Also when you are trying to remove these screws, make sure the screwdriver fits the head of the screw very tightly. It has to be really precise otherwise you'll round them out.

Apple stupidly suggests "jewellers screwdriver" for some of these screws, but that will never work.

Last edited:
Reactions: savoirfaire

InvertedGoldfish

Suspended
Jun 28, 2023

savoirfaire

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 23, 2003
New England
Thanks for your input, guys. I do have a screw extractor kit but as I suspected it doesn't have an extractor small enough. I think I will go ahead and order one with the #0 bit. In the meantime I'll try with the needlenose pliers, but the damn thing doesn't want to budge. It may just be that I'm not getting a good enough grip on it.

Reactions: splifingate

savoirfaire

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 23, 2003
New England
I know this is an old post, but I just wanted to follow up and say that Vampliers were the perfect tool for this job. Once I received them, it took less than a minute to get the screw out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.