Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Noeb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2014
Hi! I just switched from Android to iPhone, after a ten year Apple pause. I'm very happy with the phone, apart from one thing which I use a lot: calendar reminders/alerts.

Yes, I get audible/haptic/alerts on the lockscreen and in the notification center. But if I enter the calendar app to check whatever, then all reminders disappear - even if I didn't dismiss then actively. Of course, I'd like them to be there until I actively dismiss/remove them.

i also really, REALLY, miss the menu bar icon/reminder, and the badge icon (red symbol on app icon showing number of "active" appointments/reminders).

Of course, I've checked every possible setting to make it work this way - but no luck.

This is so annoying that I'm having (bad, bad) thoughts of switching back. Anyone have any good tips?

Thank you so much - and sorry for my bad English.

Reactions: LoveToMacRumors

MrTazz

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2015
Have you tried Fantastical 2 calendar, this is so much better than the stock one.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
You mean all reminders disappear from the lock screen?

Have you tried swiping up on the screen when it's showing the time? That will reveal past notifications (in iOS 11).

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Pretty sure not much can be done re: something in the banner like Android, as what goes there in iOS is pretty much set in stone.

Not surprised that you are not seeing the notification bubble on the app corner: notifications in 11 has been a real hit/miss thing, imo. For example, Wallet has never worked correctly for me. Can do a complete reset, which fixes temporarily, but then goes back into a semi-working mode. And Podcasts has not done any bubbles in 11 when it used to in previous versions.

Will second Fantastical. All in one app for Reminders and Calendars, nicer UI, better editing functions. And their notification bubbles work for me. What I do is setup Notifications to come from the stock Reminders and Calendar app (big one here, if I recall correctly, is that not alot of flexibility for custom tones in Fantastical), disable all notifications other than the bubble for Fantastical, and push the stock apps to the app ghetto, where I will not see or clutter up realestate on main screen(s).

Noeb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2014
Thanks guys. I have now tried fantastical. It's a good app, but unfortunately it doesn't do what I need.

The alerts on the lockscreen still disappear if I open the app, even if I don't dismiss the alerts.

The badge cannot display number of non-dismissed calendar event alerts. (I tried)

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Working for me: Reminders/Calendar do the notifications, Fantastical has alerts disabled, other than the bubble. Tap the app, alerts stay on the lock screen. Something in how you've setup your alerts/notifications.

All the calendar/reminder apps, including stock, have a widget to show you a list. Not same thing, but, close simulation.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Yes, I get audible/haptic/alerts on the lockscreen and in the notification center. But if I enter the calendar app to check whatever, then all reminders disappear - even if I didn't dismiss then actively. Of course, I'd like them to be there until I actively dismiss/remove them.

Lock screen notifications don’t persist. If you are on the lock screen and open something the lock screen will be cleared (mostly). Swipe down the notification shade to see other notifications.

I adjusted my usage for this behavior and it works better now. My notification shade is my “things to do later” list. But doesn’t clog up my lock screen in case something important pops up.

cobracnvt

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2017
As Cynics said, swipe down from the home screen to see notifications. Some do disappear. The next version of IOS coming out in the Fall makes a lot of improvements to notifications.

Also, in settings, under notifications>calendar>upcoming events, under the Alerts section. Try having all the alerts turned on and select persistent banners.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
As I mentioned before, swipe up from the center of the lock screen to see past notifications in iOS 11.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
In fairness, a notification meant to serve as a “reminder” or prompt — which the OP seems to want from Calendar — isn’t useful if you don’t see it upon waking up the phone. (If the user knows to swipe up to review a reminder, they don’t need to be reminded!)

Apple offers so many customization options for notifications; it would be nice if user could choose for lockscreen notifications to be persistent on a per-app basis.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Apple offers so many customization options for notifications; it would be nice if user could choose for lockscreen notifications to be persistent on a per-app basis.

I dunno. Don't think there is a great solution to this. For example, some people have close to everything doing Notificationson lock screen, to the point where even persistence might not help: still have some "rollover", depending on when person wakes the device, how many new Notifications rolled in since last looked.

Maybe iOS 12's new Notification Center will help with this, a pseudo more persistent notification, but even then, say user needs to know about every tweet, social media post, heavy messaging app user, still get so cluttered that os has to push down things.

What was nice, and might have helped OP's situation is the pre-11 notification center where you were able to do a manual sort order (ie. prioritize) the notifications. So, put Calendar first, Reminders next, let the rest fight it out after these.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
I dunno. Don't think there is a great solution to this. For example, some people have close to everything doing Notificationson lock screen, to the point where even persistence might not help: still have some "rollover", depending on when person wakes the device, how many new Notifications rolled in since last looked.

Maybe iOS 12's new Notification Center will help with this, a pseudo more persistent notification, but even then, say user needs to know about every tweet, social media post, heavy messaging app user, still get so cluttered that os has to push down things.

What was nice, and might have helped OP's situation is the pre-11 notification center where you were able to do a manual sort order (ie. prioritize) the notifications. So, put Calendar first, Reminders next, let the rest fight it out after these.

A true lockscreen or homescreen Calendar widget (even if just “Next Up”) would also be helpful. Even after several years of the “Today” pane (or whatever it’s called now), I still forget to swipe over and check it; so I don’t know what’s coming up on my calendar until I’m prompted. I’m one of those ppl who needs my calendar constantly in my face, lol. At least with Android, I could keep a widget on my homescreen.

I realize a widget on the actual lockscreen would conflict w/notifications; not sure what the solution is there.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.