Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ams3401

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2020
img.jpg
img2.jpg

- I bought a new never been used Refurbished iPhone X from a Verizon user 2 years ago as a gift
- Handed the phone to a relative in South Korea
- Showed the same screen back then as well, could not select local carrier with the local SIM inserted (First ever SIM inserted in the phone)
- Apple Genius removed the "Country Lock" and the phone got past the Choose Carrier screen
- Had no issue using the phone on the network of the local carrier in South Korea, heck it even worked in China and Hongkong with their local carrier SIMs
- Yesterday, the phone was factory resetted and now back to square one (Same South Korean network SIM still inserted)
- Contacted Apple, says there's no way they would've removed the lock 2 years ago, contact the original carrier
- Contacted Verizon, says the phone is not locked to their network

At this point, I'm basically out of options. Both responsible companies are just dodging me around and I can't seem to find the solution.
What should I do?

Last edited:

ams3401

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2020
Issue resolved by furiously selecting xfinity mobile because I could not find any help. I'm very disappointed that Apple was totally useless on this case.

politik

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2009
I had the same issue with an iPhone 12 mini replacement from Apple Support. I purchased it from Apple unlocked, and was putting an Australian SIM card into it while in the United States. I just selected Xfinity mobile and then it worked. Double checked in Settings -> About, and there are no 'sim restrictions'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.