Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Love Juice

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
I'm very adept at jb'ing, but this one has got me puzzled.

My gf's old 3GS which was on 4.0 showed the "connect to itunes" pic one day, so I tried restoring it. Tried redsn0w, and it didn't work. Long story short, I had to use pwnage to create a custom 4.3.3 ipsw, then redsn0w to put it into DFU mode (regular way WOULD not work), then tinyumbrella to get itunes to restore w/ the custom ipsw.

Here's where it goes strange ....as soon as it gets done restoring, it boots into DFU mode. I've tried redsn0w and tinyumbrella to get it out of dfu, but nothing works. The only way I can boot, is to have redsn0w do a tethered boot.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Love Juice

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
no, i did not use the ipad baseband. used official :apple: 4.3.3 for the 3gs, then had pwnage make it

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
1. Download 3GS 4.1 onto your computer.
2. put your phone into DFU, click shift + restore & point it to 4.1.
3. Itunes will restore it, at the end, it will give you 1015 error.
4. close itunes, open TU, hit exit recovery. Your phone will boot up to activation screen.

Love Juice

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
1. Download 3GS 4.1 onto your computer.
2. put your phone into DFU, click shift + restore & point it to 4.1.
3. Itunes will restore it, at the end, it will give you 1015 error.
4. close itunes, open TU, hit exit recovery. Your phone will boot up to activation screen.
TY Crystal, I didn't want to use 4.1, but it did the trick since it's still signed. I didn't get the 1015 error, since it freezes a lilttle past half way, but I use iDisk to get past that :) Booted to the activations screen, and redsn0w worked without a hitch this time :))

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.