Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yixian

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Europe
Left my iPhone updated to 7.1 overnight, woke up to the recovery screen asking me to connect to iTunes.

I have an iclid backup but it doesn't include all my photos. I have so many photos and a few videos stored on the phone that aren't anywhere else and I don't want to lose them.

I have tried a bunch of apps that are supposed to kick the phone out of recovery mode, none of them worked it just went straight back to the same screen, and I've tried an app that is supposed to be able to allow you to extract data but it said "your phone is locked with a password" (which it isn't) and didn't let me.

Any ideas? I have irreplaceable photos that are important to me that I really don't want to lose.

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013
Left my iPhone updated to 7.1 overnight, woke up to the recovery screen asking me to connect to iTunes.

I have an iclid backup but it doesn't include all my photos. I have so many photos and a few videos stored on the phone that aren't anywhere else and I don't want to lose them.

I have tried a bunch of apps that are supposed to kick the phone out of recovery mode, none of them worked it just went straight back to the same screen, and I've tried an app that is supposed to be able to allow you to extract data but it said "your phone is locked with a password" (which it isn't) and didn't let me.

Any ideas? I have irreplaceable photos that are important to me that I really don't want to lose.

Download tiny umbrella on ur comp... If that doesn't work.. Then I have no other idea... If u have an iCloud backup.. Then ur camara roll has to backup unless uve kept it off...

Yixian

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Europe
Download tiny umbrella on ur comp... If that doesn't work.. Then I have no other idea... If u have an iCloud backup.. Then ur camara roll has to backup unless uve kept it off...

Yup, TinyUmbrella couldn't kick it out, it just goes back into restore mode every time :( and I turned off photo backups on iCloud due to lack of space.

Is there any way to turn the iPhone into an HDD so I can just extract the photos before restoring?

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013
Yup, TinyUmbrella couldn't kick it out, it just goes back into restore mode every time :( and I turned off photo backups on iCloud due to lack of space.

Is there any way to turn the iPhone into an HDD so I can just extract the photos before restoring?
Now that's sonething I've never come across... Well I've never really had a problem with tiny umbrella... This may sound lame but did u try restoring via iTunes ... I mean how can it just jump back to dfu ...

Yixian

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Europe
Now that's sonething I've never come across... Well I've never really had a problem with tiny umbrella... This may sound lame but did u try restoring via iTunes ... I mean how can it just jump back to dfu ...

I haven't restored yet, I want to try and recover my photos before doing so.

It seems there are apps that can allow you to browse and extract files from an iPhone when it's in DFU mode, but I can't even get it into DFU mode, when I attempt the button combinations it has already booted into recovery mode again before I've had the home button down for more than a few seconds!

I have precious photos on there going back years :(

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013
I haven't restored yet, I want to try and recover my photos before doing so.

It seems there are apps that can allow you to browse and extract files from an iPhone when it's in DFU mode, but I can't even get it into DFU mode, when I attempt the button combinations it has already booted into recovery mode again before I've had the home button down for more than a few seconds!

I have precious photos on there going back years :(

My friend u have to restore your phone first to get ur photos! U need to check if u can successfully bring back a software on your phone... Once you try to restore and see what happens..reply to this message ...don't worry.. U will be able to bring ur pictures back if they are backed up somewhere...

Yixian

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Europe
My friend u have to restore your phone first to get ur photos! U need to check if u can successfully bring back a software on your phone... Once you try to restore and see what happens..reply to this message ...don't worry.. U will be able to bring ur pictures back if they are backed up somewhere...

They aren't backed up anywhere sadly, they are only on the phone, which is stuck in a recovery loop and will not be kicked out nor enter DFU mode.

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013
Ok # .. Then I don't think I can be of help anymore to you.. I hope I helped u even a little .. It's the most weird and dangerous bug ...

PS.. Check if u have a backup stored on the computer

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
For a normal upgrade procedure. iTunes will back your phone -> upgrade the iOS -> and then recover from the backup.

Therefore, your photos should in the backup file. You should able to recover the photos after you fix the OS issue.

Yixian

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Europe
For a normal upgrade procedure. iTunes will back your phone -> upgrade the iOS -> and then recover from the backup.

Therefore, your photos should in the backup file. You should able to recover the photos after you fix the OS issue.

Will it do so even if I normally have automatic backing up done via. iCloud rather than iTunes? ie. does upgrading the OS automatically prompt iTunes to backup the phone without you having to tell it to do so?

I went to the Apple Store and they basically referred me to a forensic data recovery company, a bit much considering the data is presumably perfectly enact and the only thing keeping me from getting to it is Apple's own factory lock.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
People who keep the only copy of important data on a phone of all things almost deserve to lose it in my eyes.

jbrew345

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2014
Yixian please help. Did you ever recover photos!!

Will it do so even if I normally have automatic backing up done via. iCloud rather than iTunes? ie. does upgrading the OS automatically prompt iTunes to backup the phone without you having to tell it to do so?

I went to the Apple Store and they basically referred me to a forensic data recovery company, a bit much considering the data is presumably perfectly enact and the only thing keeping me from getting to it is Apple's own factory lock.

I dont know if Im doing this correctly so sorry. I connected my wife's iphone 5s to the computer for the express purpose of backing up her photos and videos to computer AND external hard drive that I already have plugged in waiting. Her phone began with the latest quick update and got message it failed and the dreaded iTunes detected phone in recovery mode and must reset. I'm sitting here not willing to reset. I must get photos. This was first time being connected so no backup. There must be a way.

----------

Do I do something irreparable if I now let iTunes reset? Or will it do nothing worse than its current state? If there's a chance that there is a better chance of recovery if I do nothing right now then that is what I'll do. Although do need phone too.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but since as far back as 2007 iTunes has supported connecting a device and clicking a Backup button.

If not backing up in iTunes, then Importing the photos & videos has been an option, as well. In Windows this is easy as right-clicking the device and telling it to import. On Mac OS X, iPhoto will prompt you to import.

Since 2011, iCloud has been a third option for backing up photos & videos.

I haven't even mentioned all the third-party backups programs like Dropbox's, Flickr's, and Google+'s auto-upload or whatever.

Any one of those is all it would take to have saved priceless photos and videos.

If you're only trying to learn about backups now, after losing all of your files, it won't help anything.

There may be recovery services out there, but they won't be cheap.

All storage devices are temporary. Ensuring that everything is backed up is pretty important.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
People who keep the only copy of important data on a phone of all things almost deserve to lose it in my eyes.

...a little cruel but unfortunately it's the only way people will learn the lesson. For some reason people stay oblivious to the fact that all digital data MUST have a backup. Phones and port devices are even more susceptible since not only can you lose data to corruption, you can also lose it literally.

Top that off Apple offers iTunes, iCloud and if on a Mac auto backup to iPhoto. Apple makes it almost hard NOT to backup.

ddybing

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2011
Norway
Did you update trough iTunes? If iTunes took an automated backup, it should show up under "Devices" in iTunes settings.

jbrew345

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2014
"Doctor, it hurts when I do this" (doctor): "Well, don't do that"

You know, it's somewhat strange. Many people I've noticed over different forums on different topics have adopted a strange form of "help" or "solution" to a problem - and that is to tell someone that they should have done something different in the first place. Isn't that akin to someone saying "Help me. I have cut my finger!" And the person saying "Sure, go back in time and don't cut your finger." I, for one, plugged in my wife's iPhone for THE FIRST TIME to the computer with a portable backup drive already installed and waiting to make an immediate second backup copy(duplicate) and it crashed immediately and went into recovery mode. After researching elsewhere, for those interested, it appears that currently, iPhone 3 and 4 I could have retrieved photos and data. My 5s probably data only at this time. I'm investigating on others options tomorrow. I'll update if I get any useful information.

My thanks to people who offer up their knowledge and help.

FinanceGalSF

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2009
San Francisco
iPhone Restore does not offer backup first

Am having freeze up problems after installing iOS 7.1.2 - cut and paste message from iTunes - the ONLY option offered is a Restore, and this is what iTunes says when you select it:
<<Are you sure you want to restore the iPhone “iPhone” to its factory settings? All of your media and other data will be erased, and the newest version of the iPhone software will be installed.>>

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
Am having freeze up problems after installing iOS 7.1.2 - cut and paste message from iTunes - the ONLY option offered is a Restore, and this is what iTunes says when you select it:

<<Are you sure you want to restore the iPhone “iPhone” to its factory settings? All of your media and other data will be erased, and the newest version of the iPhone software will be installed.>>

Are you trying to recover photos? Did you back up before installing iOS 7.1.2? Do you have photos backed up to iCloud?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.