Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

15armitagem

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2014
iPod Touch 4G

I have the same problem as notevirus7. My lock button is jammed, and my iPod is stuck in soft DFU after a failed attempt at the DFU IPSW method. It crashed while trying to reboot after the initial jailbreak. I restored the iPod using a DFU IPSW for ios 6.1.6. I can get it out of soft DFU mode because the lock button is broken, I cant restore on iTunes because of the 1601 error, and redsn0w will not let me proceed with a boot unless it is in a true DFU mode. My initial goal was to get the iPod jailbroken sense apple will not be releasing any more updates for iPod 4G and because there is an untethered version available when exploition p0sixpwn. Unfortunately I don't have any SHSH Bloobs saved, so as far as I know I'm screwed. Anything you guys can to do to help would be great. Thanks.

nasher0190

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2014
My experience with soft DFU mode, priceless.

So, I was attempting to jailbreak my Ipod 4g 5.1.1 to 6.1.6 untethered (I have a broken home button BTW). So, basically, the steps should go: Update to 6.1.6, jailbreak with Redsnow, then untethered JB with P0sixspwn. Things are going well with steps 1 and 2, already on tethered JB, until i decided to restore my ipod with my backup profile so that camera roll pictures and mp3's will be available as soon as i finished step 3, which is the untethered JB.

While the backup was loading, I noticed my ipod went to a black screen. I closed iTunes then opened redsn0w_0.9.15b3 (which is the latest build) for me to see the status of my Ipod. I saw that it was on soft DFU, so i began searching, searching, and SeARCHING for possible ways to fix this until I got in to this forum.

I tried restoring it with the stock ios 6.1.6 with itunes (Version 11.5), but it is giving me errors like 3194, 6100, etc. I have read somewhere on the internet that it is not possible (I'm not sure about this) to restore to your previous IOS or even the new 6.1.6 if you restored it already with the IOS that redsnow made for broken power and home buttons "ENTER_DFU_iPod..." with iTunes versiosn 11.X. That also goes with newer itunes versions because Apple will not be signing those restores.

I gave up on my search to fix my idevice because I need to go to work, and I am almost sitting on this for 6 hours. Then I went to my 10-hour work sched, leaving my ipod in my drawer on soft DFU mode. I returned home from work and slept for about 5 hours, then woke up and continued fixing my ipod.

My new plan was to get a previous version of iTunes (v.10.7), which I did, and try to restore it there with IOS v6.1.6. Before I did that, I opened redsnow again and tried connecting it to my Ipod, hoping that there will be something different, and my... my.. what a surprise!! I was able to PWNED DFU it. You may also consider using lower versions of redsnow to PWNED DFU that ****! XD. So, I immediately restored it using the itunes 10.7 ios 6.1.6, and it was a success! :D:D:D One thing I noticed upon restore was my battery was empty. My hypothesis was that when the battery died it made my ipod reboot (I thought since it is in DFU mode, the battery life would last longer since it is not using too much power, but it still drained). Technically, when your idevice is turned off then connected to your computer or a charger, it opens, and that made it reboot! (lucky me). Therefore, I was able to proceed with DFU. So, the time duration here is actually about 15-20 hours or just wait till next day to drain your battery (well, it still depends on how old your battery is and other factors)

My Ipod is now restored with 6.1.6, and I'm still planning to JB this in the near future. Hope this one helped. BTW, if you are using a newer version of itunes, you may come across the iTunes Library.itl error when you decided to downgrade your itunes. The error tells you that the library was created by a newer version of itunes and cannot open the library. You may search for steps to resolve this problem or you can just start installing 10.7 on a new computer, but what I did was to completely remove iTunes 11.5 and its components including the library files and temporarily storing it somewhere then installing the 10.7 build of itunes.

NEVER SAY NEVER! HAHHAAHAH!! HOPE THIS ONE HELPED.

[/SIZE]

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.