Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sumleilmus

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2011
/
I want to roll back the OS on my 2017 MBP that is set up as a new computer with Catalina 10.15.2. I read on the Apple site that by starting up holding down the Shift-Option-⌘-R keys, to "Reinstall the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available."

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

I did that three hours ago, and for the last hour, the black screen shows a turning globe over a white "progress" bar and text of "0:18."

It's connected via a USB-C RJ-45 10-100-1000 adapter, and my bandwidth is said to be 92 Mbps.

The article says I should have expected to be booted into Recovery and to see Mac OS Utilities, but that never occurred. I never had to log in, but the Catalina installation had never been booted beyond the Setup Assistant.

After how many hours or days should I begin to worry, and then what should I do, please, wise persons?

Last edited:

Sumleilmus

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2011
/

This explained it. Stuck "Internet Recovery." Disconnected ethernet, shut down, used bootable installer from startup manager (boot holding down option key), repartitioned HD, installer now running.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.