Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atik

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2005
Tampere, Finland.
I don't know if the Education Discount section in Europe's Apple Store is a new feature, but Finland's store is still in coming soon status. How does ordering basically work? You order the product online, but do you need to fax some evidence about your status in a university or something?

I've read from the Finnish forums that there's always been student discounts in Apple Store, but there's been no info on the Finnish Apple online store. Hopefully soon....

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
wow, that's a shame that you dont have that feature yet.

i can tell you what happens in the UK store: you order your product, give the name of your school. that's it. apparantly they do random checks and sometimes ask you to fax some ID - but I've never had this happen to me..

atik

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2005
Tampere, Finland.
Oh. That sounds too easy. So far I've heard, that if you want student discounts, u have to order by phone. Or settle for 3 % educ. discounts at computer stores here in Finland, more like a joke than a real discount. I've heard that some people have joined the ADC for the 20 % discounts on PowerBooks and PowerMacs, but iBook discounts are only 10 %, so it's no use payin a 99$ joining fee.

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
I'm in California, so things may be different, but for my student discount I had to show a valid school ID and my driver's license. They took both of the id numbers off these and put them into their computer. I did this at the Apple Store, but it seems weird that they would be so leniant with online orders and so strict with store purchases.

maddav

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2004
Manchester, UK
I haven't ordered myself, but apparently they are quite lax with their monitoring of the education store customers. You really should have some sort of student ID though as Apple may want some proof that you are attending a University/College.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
In the UK, in order to gain access to the education store, you need to be an NUS member (National Union of Students). Theres a link through that website to the store. Essentially you have to have that card to get a product... eliminating the need to fax proof etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.