Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guitarguy19

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2022
Hey all,

For months, I had my Studio Display as my main screen, running my MBP14 M1 in clamshell mode (lid shut). The ASD brightness worked like a champ adjusting from the keyboard (MX Keys). Never had an issue!

Last week, I moved. Had the ASD unplugged for a week. Hooked up today…and now the ASD brightness will not adjust from the keyboard buttons.

If I open the MBP lid and use the brightness keys there, I get the little brightness meter on the screen on both displays and it adjusts only the MBP screen.

If I open the MBP lid and use the MX Keys buttons, same thing.

If I open system settings -> displays, I can use the slider bar to adjust either display depending on which one I’m selecting. BUT…regardless of which one I have selected…either set of keyboard buttons adjust only the MBP display.

I tried rebooting the laptop (also updated to Ventura 13.2.1 today), unplugging the ASD, disconnecting the MX Keys. ASD has firmware v15.5 19F80.

Anyone have any ideas…???

Ctoretto93

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2020
Hey I'm having a similar issue and I'm wondering if you ever found a solution for it? Seems like replacing the display might be my only option since I've tried everything.

mackiee

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2014
I have a similar issue. Have the MXKeys for Mac keyboard and have adjusted the brightness of my LG UltraFine display through the keyboard keys for a couple of years. Suddenly this has stopped working. All the other "function keys" such as the volume keys are working fine.

Ventura 13.3.1 and Logi Options+ 1.40.402749, keyboard connected over Bluetooth.

Ctoretto93

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2020
I have a similar issue. Have the MXKeys for Mac keyboard and have adjusted the brightness of my LG UltraFine display through the keyboard keys for a couple of years. Suddenly this has stopped working. All the other "function keys" such as the volume keys are working fine.

Ventura 13.3.1 and Logi Options+ 1.40.402749, keyboard connected over Bluetooth.
Interesting. So after tons of tests, using other MacBooks, and getting the same result, I figured the display itself was the issue. Got a replacement shipped to me from apple and I'm still having the issue. At this point I have no idea what's causing this.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Interesting. So after tons of tests, using other MacBooks, and getting the same result, I figured the display itself was the issue. Got a replacement shipped to me from apple and I'm still having the issue. At this point I have no idea what's causing this.
In case it's software related (which is likely at this point), remove the Logitech software and see if it still happens.

Next, try a small app called Monitor Control. It will sync the brightness of external displays to the internal display. Play with some of the apps options and see if the ASDs brightness will change along with the internal display's (using the built-in Apple keyboard after removing the Logitech software).

Ctoretto93

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2020
I don't think it's anything related to Logit
In case it's software related (which is likely at this point), remove the Logitech software and see if it still happens.

Next, try a small app called Monitor Control. It will sync the brightness of external displays to the internal display. Play with some of the apps options and see if the ASDs brightness will change along with the internal display's (using the built-in Apple keyboard after removing the Logitech software).
I don't think it's anything Logitech related because I tested two computers without that software and they had the same problem. In any case, even the laptop's keyboard can't control the display brightness besides the laptop's own screen.
I really wanted to avoid using a third party app because this thing is supposed to work without it and it was but at this point I guess that's all that's left..

Ctoretto93

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2020
control + shift + F1/F2
Saw this reply and was going to try but I had since downloaded the third party monitor app and that's been working fine. Decided to quit and restart the pc, test out the function key that controls the brightness and it worked -.-
I'm at a loss for what the issue was but glad it finally is working like before.

Rnd-chars

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2023
I wonder if your Studio Display is no longer recognized as your primary display. You can make it your primary by going to System Preferences -> Displays -> Arrangement tab - drag the white bar at the top of your primary display over to the external monitor (link)

Ctoretto93

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2020
I wonder if your Studio Display is no longer recognized as your primary display. You can make it your primary by going to System Preferences -> Displays -> Arrangement tab - drag the white bar at the top of your primary display over to the external monitor (link)
not to bash on this response but I feel like the details of my initial post would implicitly suggest that I've already tried this basic solution....

22289d

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2024
I just had this issue and MonitorControl someone mentioned worked to fix it - however the brightness slider would just stop getting brighter at about 50%.

Then I tried the most basic thing. I unplugged my Studio Display from everything, including power, and just let it sit there for a few minutes. Then plugged it back in.

Then everything worked fine. I don't even need MonitorControl anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.