Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

santa

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2003
I have a Mac Studio on the way and have received two Studio Displays. I've connected one to my iMac. The web cam on the studio display is horrible as I had been advised but I didn't realize the audio from the studio display also is horrible in comparison to my iMac. Sigh. Now to find a decent set of small speakers. Recommendations? Yeah yeah...I'll go look through that internet thing.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
If you want something relatively inexpensive, I've had good results from one ENEBY IKEA speaker. That thing is actually good quality, especially the larger model (I have the small one, though, and it's plenty unless you are listening at significantly loud volumes.)

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
I have a Mac Studio on the way and have received two Studio Displays. I've connected one to my iMac. The web cam on the studio display is horrible as I had been advised but I didn't realize the audio from the studio display also is horrible in comparison to my iMac. Sigh. Now to find a decent set of small speakers. Recommendations? Yeah yeah...I'll go look through that internet thing.
My recommendation is to return them. Way too much money to spend on displays where you find aspects of them "horrible".

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
It's unfortunate, but understandable, that you expected better sound and webcam quality.

For the difference in price of an LG 5K monitor you can have money left over to purchase a better webcam and some really good speakers.

Reactions: Ruftzooi

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Nah, the Apple Studio Display is the biggest piece of trash.

According to MacRumours, at $1699 it should have had promotion and mini-LED, just like all those gaming monitors.

Last edited:

racoop

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2012
My new ASD arrived a few days ago from the $1299 Amazon sale and I absolutely love it. The screen and sound (with music) are amazing. I just plugged in my M1 Pro MBP and everything worked perfectly - up and running in about a minute. It's been just fine for Zoom calls too, no issues with cameras or sound. I dont need a camera so fine that others can see my every imperfection! Hard to imagine folks calling it horrible. Seriously, just return it and quit griping!

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
My new ASD arrived a few days ago from the $1299 Amazon sale and I absolutely love it. The screen and sound (with music) are amazing. I just plugged in my M1 Pro MBP and everything worked perfectly - up and running in about a minute. It's been just fine for Zoom calls too, no issues with cameras or sound. I dont need a camera so fine that others can see my every imperfection! Hard to imagine folks calling it horrible. Seriously, just return it and quit griping!

Well I think the argument is that for how expensive the ASD is, it should have a more quality camera in it. We have an iMac Pro and a Studio display and the camera on the iMac Pro is much better than the Studio display and we've had the iMac Pro since 2017.

dotnet

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Well I think the argument is that for how expensive the ASD is, it should have a more quality camera in it. We have an iMac Pro and a Studio display and the camera on the iMac Pro is much better than the Studio display and we've had the iMac Pro since 2017.

I don’t think the quality of the camera is to blame, but rather the processing that’s being applied. The ASD has a ca. 2019 12MP camera, the iMac Pro an ancient 2MP (1080p) one. It’s the tight crop (center stage) and computational distortion removal (super wide angle!), as well as the aggressive smoothing and dynamic range compression applied to the image that causes the complaints.

This should be fixable via software updates, but ideally things like center stage and the amount of smoothing or noise reduction would be user configurable.

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
This should be fixable via software updates, but ideally things like center stage and the amount of smoothing or noise reduction would be user configurable.

If it was fixable by software updates it would have been fixed by now. Its been out a year next month and if they haven't figured it out by now they are pretty much done with it.

dotnet

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia
If it was fixable by software updates it would have been fixed by now. Its been out a year next month and if they haven't figured it out by now they are pretty much done with it.

They have already tweaked it at least once. Apple doesn’t rush things like this. Besides, they probably don’t see the image processing results as catastrophic and world-ending as some Youtubers and MRF posters make them out.

EDIT Looking at my M1 iPad Pro webcam just then, it looks pretty ordinary, too.

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
Every ASD thread becomes about the price and the camera.

Every Mac Studio thread becomes about the whine.

Just a matter of how many posts it takes for them to all end up the same.

Reactions: dotnet
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.