Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WallySpoons

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2017
I have a 5K 27" iMac (2014) which I maxed out at purchase with a quad core Intel i7. It has 25GB RAM and a 500GB HDD.
I also have an M1 MacBook pro with 16GB RAM and a 250GB HBB. Most of my storage is on iCloud Drive from both machines (which effectively mirror each other via iCloud drive) - this means I can work from home and away easily.

My workflow is mainly email, documents, spreadsheets and Teams meetings. No graphic hungry applications.

The iMac is becoming a little twitchy - occasional odd behaviours, files not opening, odd crashing. And it does not support Ventura or Monterey. I worried it's going to fail and I have a few sensitive documents that I cannot keep in the cloud.

So Q: do I just get a Studio display and attach to my M1 MacBook when I am at home (with the advantage that I then have 1 computer to keep up to date, not 2) or wait for a new 27" iMac to be released?

First world problems!

Thanks

C

PS - I really don't like the design of the current 24" iMacs so don't want one of them.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
I have a few sensitive documents that I cannot keep in the cloud.
Use a NAS drive and share the “sensitive documents” between the two computers.

With that out of the way, do you want advice on stabilizing the older iMac?

Reactions: Basic75

WallySpoons

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2017
YES! That would save me ££££! Thanks.
Sensitive documents are stuff about patients which UK and European data protection legislation is very specific about...

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Do you backup the “sensitive documents” to external storage or backup the iMac in general?

Reactions: Basic75

icemantx

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2009
For comparison, I just replaced my 2014 5k iMac with the Apple Studio Display and the M2 Pro Mac Mini and I am very happy. It’s as close to an M series 27” iMac as I could get. The added benefit of having the Mac mini (or any desktop Mac/MacBook as well) is that they can be replaced without needing to replace the monitor.

The mini + ASD work great together.

Reactions: colodane
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.