Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andreasfcb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
I have the following setup: MBP 14'' M1 Max connected to a Thunderbolt Dock which connects to two 4K displays. As main monitor, I have an Apple Studio Display directly connected to the Macbook Pro with a Thunderbolt cable. This is my setup for around a year.

Some weeks ago, the Studio Display started randomly disconnecting from the Macbook. At first I thought that touching the cable was at fault. But I exchanged the cable and also tried other ports on my Macbook with no luck.

The monitor disconnects, then it tries to reconnect and most of the time it manages to reconnect after around 5 to 10 seconds.

Normally I would assume that the cable is at fault, but I tried two different Thunderbolt cables which worked well a few weeks ago. I have the bad feeling that there is an issue with the Studio Display.

Is there anything else I could try? What do you suggest? Obviously sending the screen to Apple would be the last (most annoying) step.

bthomp

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2024
I have the following setup: MBP 14'' M1 Max connected to a Thunderbolt Dock which connects to two 4K displays. As main monitor, I have an Apple Studio Display directly connected to the Macbook Pro with a Thunderbolt cable. This is my setup for around a year.

Some weeks ago, the Studio Display started randomly disconnecting from the Macbook. At first I thought that touching the cable was at fault. But I exchanged the cable and also tried other ports on my Macbook with no luck.

The monitor disconnects, then it tries to reconnect and most of the time it manages to reconnect after around 5 to 10 seconds.

Normally I would assume that the cable is at fault, but I tried two different Thunderbolt cables which worked well a few weeks ago. I have the bad feeling that there is an issue with the Studio Display.

Is there anything else I could try? What do you suggest? Obviously sending the screen to Apple would be the last (most annoying) step.
Did you ever find a solution for this? I'm having the same issue.

andreasfcb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
Did you ever find a solution for this? I'm having the same issue.

There was no workaround. I probably spent like 3 hours on the Apple phone line following unhelpful instructions (try new cable, try safe mode, etc.).

In the end, I brought the monitor to the Apple shop. It turned out, that the Thunderbolt board was defective and they repaired it under warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.