Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 19, 2015
UK
I have a new Studio Display and Mac Studio but an older USB-A keyboard from an old iMac. I have a genuine Apple USB-A to USB-C adaptor and I'm connecting to the back of the display. Used this setup for a week and there was no issue but for the last 2 days when I boot up, I have no keyboard input until I unplug the cable and reinsert it. Any way I can fix this weird glitch/issue?

(Mac Studio is too far away from the keyboard to use the USB-A port on the back. Also, I know I could plug into one of the front USB-C ports on the Mac Studio but don't want cables trailing on my desk, hence why its plugged into the back of the display.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Silly John Fatty

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Ok so this "bug" continues. Some days it works, most days it doesn't. Now when unplugging from the Studio display and reinserting doesn't allow for keyboard input at all on startup. I even plugged to the front of the Mac Studio and still no keyboard input? I plugged into the USB-A hub port of my external drive and that worked.

Reactions: Silly John Fatty

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2012
I have a very similar issue. And also have a Studio Display. I use it with a new Mac Mini I bought. Been using the keyboard for ages (model no. A1243) and it worked just fine until I got this setup.

Did you manage to fix the issue @jimmy_uk?

I have to say, Ventura is glitchy as hell compared to High Sierra (which I've been using before).

Last edited:

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 19, 2015
UK
I've spoken with Apple support who asks me to try different ports etc. They asked me to delete a keyboard system file, I forget the name, didn't work. So they said I needed to bring keyboard and Mac Studio into a store, well I aint doin that + it's a work computer.

My final solution was to use an Apple USB-A to USB-C adaptor and plug it into the second USB-C port on the Mac Studio front as it doesn't work in the first front on boot up. The two rear USB-A ports will not acknowledge the keyboard at all. A very weird issue. I'm trying to get my work to buy a new keyboard as I have alot of the cable across my desk right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.