Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BumpMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
I have dual Studio Displays connected to a Mac Studio each via a TB4 cable. However, I would like to free one of those TB4 ports and connect one of the displays via the HDMI port on the Mac Studio, which I would have no other use for.

According to Apple I believe it should work:

Display Support
M2 Max
Simultaneous support for up to five displays:
  • Four displays with 6K resolution at 60Hz over Thunderbolt and one display with 4K resolution at 60Hz over HDMI
  • Two displays with 6K resolution at 60Hz over Thunderbolt and one display with 8K resolution at 60Hz or 4K resolution at up to 240Hz over HDMI
HDMI display video output
  • Support for one display with up to 8K resolution at 60Hz or 4K resolution at 240Hz
  • Support for variable refresh rate (VRR), HDR, and multichannel audio

Looks like it can utilize the full 5k resolution over HDMI. Would it render the USB ports on the back of the Studio Display useless?What about the speakers and webcam?

I can't seem to find an adaptor or cable on Apples site that makes the TB4-HDMI connection.

Anyone know how to accomplish this?

Last edited:

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Don't do it.

Or try Club 3d CAC-1336 HDMI 2.1 to DisplayPort 1.4 USB-C option which includes USB 2.0 which should allow audio and camera to continue working - if the adapter works which it might not. Maybe connect it with a normal USB 10 Gbps cable if the Thunderbolt cable doesn't work.

Best option is a Thunderbolt 4 hub like the CalDigit Element Hub. You can connect two Studio displays to that and have an extra Thunderbolt port available.

BumpMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
Ok, didn't realize you could run two ASP's off the CalDigit Element Hub. Thought that would be too much bandwidth for one TB4 port.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

BumpMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
It works because the Studio Display can use a four-lane HBR2+DSC connection — one TB4 port provides two of those.
Amazing info thanks!

If you do indeed run 2 Studio Displays off the CalDigit Element Hub what happens to the three USB3.2 Gen2 ports on the back of the Studio Displays? Do they all still achieve the full 10Gbps speeds for disks and other things?

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
If you do indeed run 2 Studio Displays off the CalDigit Element Hub what happens to the three USB3.2 Gen2 ports on the back of the Studio Displays? Do they all still achieve the full 10Gbps speeds for disks and other things?
Yes, connecting a Studio Display to a Thunderbolt port, whether directly to the Mac or to a Thunderbolt dock or hub or display, will allow the USB 3.2 Gen 2 ports of the Studio Display to operate at 10 Gbps, otherwise they would be limited to USB 2.0 speed (480 Mb/s).

Each Apple Studio Display uses ≈ 12 Gbps of transmit bandwidth, so 24 Gbps for two of them. That leaves plenty of bandwidth for USB 10 Gbps. You'll be limited to ≈16 Gbps total of transmit bandwidth but you should have near 20 Gbps of receive bandwidth (spread the USB devices between the two displays since each display's USB hub is limited to 10 Gbps).

You can use ATTO Disk Benchmark.app to measure total bandwidth of multiple disks simultaneously without converting them to RAID 0.

BumpMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
I was wondering about how much bandwidth the ASD took up. Sounds like all the info is here and I understand it quite clearly now. Thank you!

As you first mentioned, TB4 Dock is the way to go. Thanks joevt and Amethyst1, very clear now.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
BestBuy has the standard glass VESA mount adapter version of the Studio Display on sale ($300 discount).

Soooo tempted to replace my (not too shabby) AOC 4k though, I'd be in a quandary with connecting two displays to my Studio Base Max via CalDigit TS3+.

What I have now:
LG UltraFine 21.5" 24MD4KL-B that is TB3 connected (PD, DP Alt. Mode, USB3.1 Gen1), UHD@60Hz)
AOC U2709B that is DP 1.2 connected

If I snag the Studio Display, I'd have to look into a TB3 to DP 1.2 cable to hook up the UltraFine and not sure how well that would work.

Last edited:
Reactions: drrich2

livmatus

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2020
If I snag the Studio Display, I'd have to look into a TB3 to DP 1.2 cable to hook up the UltraFine and not sure how well that would work.

that UltraFine has a TB3 out port as far as I know... so in theory you can chain them... so Mac Studio <- LG UltraFine <- Studio Display

even the AOC monitor should work in theory if you connect it to the TB3 port on LG display with USB-C->DP cable

Reactions: edubfromktown
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.