Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hematite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2024
Greetings-

What does a studio display have over any other 27" iMac? Just need a larger, non flickering screen to only pair with a MB.
But, I don't see the real value in the current studio display with its $400 stand. Any insight welcomed.

Last edited:

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
What does a studio display have over any other 27" iMac? Just need a larger, non flickering screen to only pair with a MB.
The Studio Display is a 5K external display. It's been more than a decade since a 27" iMac can be used as an external display using Target Display Mode. No 5K iMac can be used as an external display (without a hardware hack).

Reactions: Regulus67

hematite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2024
Thank you. So it is possible, will have Airdrop and such... if one is willing to put in some effort?

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
So it is possible, will have Airdrop and such... if one is willing to put in some effort?
No. The "hardware hack" involves gutting the iMac of its components and replacing with a display driver board.

Reactions: Regulus67

hematite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2024
I was thinking of a brand called Juicy Crumb. They cater to the environmentally conscious crowd and have an easy option, (but it has to be a 2011 model).

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
You seem determined to ignore the collective wisdom here, so I'll just say, "Good luck with that!"

I own two 27" ASDs, and they're both well worth the money, in my view. Absolutely indispensable tools.

hematite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2024
You seem determined to ignore the collective wisdom here, so I'll just say, "Good luck with that!"

I own two 27" ASDs, and they're both well worth the money, in my view. Absolutely indispensable tools.
Not everyone is on the same financial spectrum. There is nothing wrong with asking a question in hopes to explore all possible options prior to making a final decision.
I hope my thread is useful to those wondering the same thing.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Not everyone is on the same financial spectrum. There is nothing wrong with asking a question in hopes to explore all possible options prior to making a final decision.
I hope my thread is useful to those wondering the same thing.

Have you check to verify what is the cost of a Juicy Crumb board?
There is a quite rational reason why jmoore5196 said "Good luck with that".
And his "that" means "wasting your money with Juicy Crumb board".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.