Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
What is the *total* USB3 and USB 2 bandwidth across the non-Thunderbolt USB ports on a Mac Studio Max?

Breaking in my Mac Studio Max, trying to decide which USB device goes where, and trying to interpret the System Report which looks something like:

> USB 3.1 Bus [Any USB devices connected to TB4 port 1] > USB 3.1 Bus [Any USB devices connected to TB4 port 2] > USB 3.1 Bus [Any USB devices connected to TB4 port 3] > USB 3.1 Bus [Any USB devices connected to TB4 port 4] > USB 3.1 Bus > USB2 Hub [Manufacturer: Apple] [Any USB2 devices connected to USB A or C ports] > USB3 Gen 2 hub [Manufacturer: Apple] [Any USB3 devices connected to USB A or C ports]

I'm not sure how to interpret the bandwidth and latency implications of this... system report on my 2017 iMac shows one "USB 3.1 Bus" (for all the TB ports - of course, only 1 TB controller on Intel) and one "USB 3.0 bus" (for all the type A ports) but there is no mention of hubs.

Does this mean that all the USB3 devices connecting to the front Type C ports or rear Type A ports are sharing the bandwidth of a single port?

Even though most of the devices I want to connect are only USB 2, the way USB 2/3 works means that multiple USB2 devices plugged into a regular USB3 hub still only get to share one USB 2 port's worth of bandwidth (480Mbps - not the full 5Gbps of USB3) between them - plus the latency implications of using a hub. Many devices recommend not using a hub (although whether that is just to avoid troubleshooting people's dodgy hubs I don't know).

2 of my devices are audio interfaces so I've got those going in to the two TB4 ports so they get their own controllers, the other two TB4 ports are used by DisplayPort displays.

Hopefully, I'm over-thinking things and there won't be any real problems - even the audio interfaces use a lot less than the full USB2 bandwidth, so it comes down to whether there are latency issues or if any devices are precious about being attached via hubs.

However, it might be an issue if anybody wants to load up their Studio with faster USB3 devices....

Has anybody actually done any bandwidth testing of this and/or investigated how USB bandwidth/latency works in things like the Caldigit Elements hub which provide more TB4 sockets...?

Mr Screech

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2018
I'd recommend getting a TB3/4 hub or dock.
If you take a look at the following, using one TB4 port for one display or audio-interface seems a waste of bandwidth. Better to get a hub(OWC) that splits it in multiple TB-ports or a dock with USB3 and Displayports.

"Of the ~40 Gbps = 5 GB/sec bandwidth of Thunderbolt 3, ~8 Gbps can be used ONLY for video data, leaving a maximum theoretical bandwidth for non-video data of 32.4 Gbps = 4.05 GB/sec."

and

"Figures assume 10-bit color (30-bit) at 60 Hz, and account for Thunderbolt 3 transfer efficiencies for video data, which reduce the nominal bandwidth required.
Approx bandwidth, 2.5K: ~8 Gbps (2560 X 1600~= 4.1MP)
Approx bandwidth, 4K: ~14 to 15 Gbps (3840 X 2160 ~= 8.3MP or 4096 X 2160 ~= 8.85MP )
Approx bandwidth, 5K: ~22 Gbps (5120 X 2880 ~= 14.7MP)
Approx bandwidth, 6K: ~31 Gbps (6016 X 3384 ~= 20.3MP)"

So your 4k(?) displayport connected to one tb4-port leaves about 25Gpbs unused.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.