Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
virividox said:
id skip the .mac account, when u go to uni they give u your own webspace and email.

first and foremost a external hard drive bigger than ur laptop hard drive so you can clone the image of the drive onto it a perfect back up :)

get a keyboard protector too

You can clone the HD? How might I go about doing this?

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
gamestriker said:
I'm a senior in high school right now, getting ready for college. I got my first mac a couple of weeks ago, a PowerBook G4 12" SD, and I love it (I'll probably right a review for it in this forum when I get a chance). Now I'm trying to figure out what else I should get for it. I got a wireless mouse, and MSOffice, and an Incase for it. I'd say I got about $1000-$1100 to spend on accessories right now, and so far I think I'm going to get the AppleCare ($350), 1GB RAM (<$400) and possibly a .Mac account ($100).

What else do you think I should get for my PowerBook? I'm not in the market for an iPod right now, but I do need some very portable and good quality headphones, so suggestions are appreciated.

A friend of mine suggested the Traveler CoolPad to help keep the PowerBook cool, but I'm not sure if its worth it (my PowerBook only gets really warm when I'm playing 3D games and its not even on the underside of it that it gets warm, its at the top strip of aluminum where the power button and the microphone are located).

All advice and suggestions will be very appreciated. My thanks in advance.

a bag, timbuk2 is my favorite. there is serveral threads about this.

skip .mac like the poster above said you have space at your university.

coolpad is a good idea, and it travels nicely in the timbuk2.

battery recharger and rechargable batteries for your mouse.

Sony MDR-NC11 Fontopia Noise Canceling Headphones. although someone suggested the ec3 which are nice as well.

external usb 2.0 or firewire hard drive. especially with laptops you need to have a backup of important data. I would recommend 100-200 gb. that enough to store a large amounts of music. i.e. backuping up your itunes, documents, pictures, etc.

panphage

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2003
For headphones, I have to back up the Etymotic er-6 suggestion. I got the er-6i's that are white, apple whore that I am. Absolutely amazing sound. It *is* a bit unnerving to be completely unable to hear what's going on around you though.

gamestriker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2004
I would rather not pay more than 50 dollars for some good headphones.

Does anyone know any of any great, protable, sub-$50 headphones?

My friend have told me that the Sony h.ear Sports Headphones MDR-J11G sound fine and are very portable. Can anyone confirm that?

Thanks in advance.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
gamestriker said:
I would rather not pay more than 50 dollars for some good headphones.

Does anyone know any of any great, protable, sub-$50 headphones?

My friend have told me that the Sony h.ear Sports Headphones MDR-J11G sound fine and are very portable. Can anyone confirm that?

Thanks in advance.

not sure about sub-$50, but if you ride a train, bus, or airplane a lot the extra $50 for ~$100 headphones are worth it imho.

ghostee

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2004
Villa Park, IL
This is how I would spend the money in your situation:

Dell 20" widescreen LCD - appx. $500 w/ coupons

Apple bluetooth KB - $53 student price

Logitech MX1000 mouse - $79 at Apple Store, maybe cheaper elsewhere online

iCurve stand - $40

ScreensavRz - $20

Good laptop bag or backpack - no more than $80

Security cable to lock PB down while sitting in dorm - appx $40

That leaves about $200 to spend on either RAM or an external HD. You may consider getting a cheaper enclosure ($30 maybe?) and a regular internal HD, as this can be significantly cheaper than a Lacie.

Joeytpg

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2004
Vienna, Austria
well my friend this is one of the coolest things about buying a laptop (Accessories) and it's even cooler when you have enough money (like you) to spend.

I'll list you a few things i think are TOP A. on my list, but i'll only write things that you can USE not "COOL" things that you won't use that much.

i have a Powerbook 15" and i'm also in college and i can really tell you what works and what not. So here i go.....

1- Get a GOOD Sleeve to put your powerbook in. (Protection 1rst right?)

2- A GOOD laptop bag (can be a backpack or a Messenger bag, you taste) just don't spend more than $50 or $60 MOST on a laptop bag PLEASE, it's a mistake, with the Sleeve and the "semi-cheap" bag will do.

3- you already got an external mouse, good choice. I can deal with the trackpad but not ALL the time.

4- i don't know about you, but i REALLY like SPACE, so i'd buy an external Display, and of course i'd love an Apple one, but hey if you can't afford it then simply get a nice cheaper one. People seem to be having good impressions out of the DELL's displays.

5- RAM, BUT don't get APPLE ram, it's just TOO expensive....go to Crucial.com and but it from them......i'd suggest you to get a cheap 512 stick, you'll have 768 and wait maybe a year or so and buy a 1gb stick when the prices go down.

6- Extra battery could REALLY be a great option, BUT first try using the pbook with only one bat. maybe it's more than what you need.

7- External Hard Drive. i've only had my pbook for 9 months and i only have 10 gb left. but maybe you ain't like me, so like i said, wait and test you storage capablities......don't buy ANYTHING that you don't need right away.

well this is it pretty much.... good luck and let us know what you get

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.