Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcmadhatter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
Bath, UK
My ibook has a distinctinctly lacking in the # key department, is there a key combination to type this or do i just have to go to the special charecter pallet (or whatever its equivelent is called by apple) every time I want to type a #??
It is really annoying as I am doing c# and css stuff at the moment

cheers

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
mcmadhatter said:
My ibook has a distinctinctly lacking in the # key department, is there a key combination to type this or do i just have to go to the special charecter pallet (or whatever its equivelent is called by apple) every time I want to type a #??
It is really annoying as I am doing c# and css stuff at the moment

cheers

You mean something other than shift - 3 ?
############################

Edit: OK, I see, thanks for the clarification Applespider

Is the iBook keyboard different? I don't have one.

Woof, Woof – Dawg
pawprint.gif

fayans

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
MacRumors: Forums
Applespider said:
Assume that you're working on a UK keyboard?

Typing Option/Alt and 3 will get you a #
Thanks! I learn type © - ™ without going to character palette using alt/option key combination. Cool!

sreedy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2005
Somerset
In the UK shift-3 is £ and alt-3 is #; I must admit from a developers point of view this is a bit rubbish.... discourages commented code!

I think they should at least hvae marked the keyboard somehow like the 2 on a UK keyboard having @ and €

mcmadhatter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
Bath, UK
sdreed25 said:
In the UK shift-3 is £ and alt-3 is #; I must admit from a developers point of view this is a bit rubbish.... discourages commented code!

I think they should at least hvae marked the keyboard somehow like the 2 on a UK keyboard having @ and €

cheers for that everyone, I can now attempt to comment my code on a more regular basis. It's a shame they don't mark the extra charecters on the keyboard

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
And does anyone know how to type an Apple symbol/logo on a UK keyboard? Its supposed to be apple+shift+K on a US one. I'm thinking Word or InDesign here, not typing it in a web page (theres already a thread on how to put an apple symbol into a MacRumors post).

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
mcmadhatter said:
I think i might do a complete listing for all the keys on the uk keyboard when I get home to my Mac
No need for a complete listing, you already got it: Enable the input menu in System Preferences -> International, and check the Keyboard Viewer Palette. :)

Edit: The Keyboard Viewer will give you a small floating window that will show you what characters that's assigned to different keys when yo hold down shift, alt/option, cmd/apple, ctrl, fn or any combination of the controller keys.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    31.2 KB · Views: 103

fayans

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
MacRumors: Forums
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
No need for a complete listing, you already got it: Enable the input menu in System Preferences -> International, and check the Keyboard Viewer Palette. :)

Edit: The Keyboard Viewer will give you a small floating window that will show you what characters that's assigned to different keys when yo hold down shift, alt/option, cmd/apple, ctrl, fn or any combination of the controller keys.
This is cool! I was looking for the complete list of what keys assigned to which special character. Thanks Mitthrawnuruodo.

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
Thanks Applespider and all you others - I've found it depends on the typeface selected (works in Geneva and Monaco for instance, but not in Arial or Times New Roman - not too surprising considering the provenance of the first two). You've saved me tearing my hair out.

ps for some reason I keep getting a 'server too busy' response.....am I surprised?

mcmadhatter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
Bath, UK
stevep said:
ps for some reason I keep getting a 'server too busy' response.....am I surprised?

lol I got that yestereday when trying to find out what was happening at the conference, gave up and watched the football in the end lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.