Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Denzydenz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2016
USA
It may sounds stupid, but here is my question.
Why when i don't use a device (for me it was my iPad & MacBook Pro) for long, when i start using it, it is very slow? And after some time using it intensively it starts to be normal again. Is it hardware or software related? I know this happens to car, but want to understand more...

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
When you don't use hard disk for a while, it will go hibernate.
When you use it, it will need a few seconds to start spinning again.
Maybe this mindset?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
So it's only about the hard disk?
Not only hard disk, but also other components.

Both inductor and capacitor needs some time to reach its saturation point. Uh, so I think, hmm, just like that, when you wake up your device from sleeping, it will take a while to become useable.

Sorry but I cannot elaborate it in a much better way.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
The devices don't have any physical part to move / warm up. It's just software indexing & memory allocation issues.

Reactions: mildocjr
Didn't know that, never studied SSDs/flash storage in great detail. I figured it might be something to do with indexing or memory issues. To the OP, if you play any games on your device it may be worthwhile to force close them if you notice these issues as I haven't noticed it. The other thing is some applications that I have installed tend to do some background processing (such as checking for updated data) which can cause some performance degredations when unlocking my iPad or iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.