Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

usagora

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
So all of a sudden I'm having issues with a few apps, including TeamViewer, failing to launch in a timely manner on my Windows 11 Pro machine. One app took over 2 minutes to launch. TeamViewer literally took hours from double-clicking the app shortcut until it opened. Tech support from one of our software vendors concluded there must be something corrupt in our Windows installation. All other bases were covered--rebooting, fully updated Windows, reinstalling software, plenty of free disk space, great network/Internet connection, etc.).

So I've been trying in vain to reinstall Windows 11 Pro since yesterday afternoon, but kept getting the "black screen of death" instead of Windows loading. Then it finally dawned on me what the issue was . . . I didn't actually have the black screen of death . . . I had a second display connected (one that's normally off and facing away from my PC), and for some reason Windows was switching over to it, which made my primary display show a blank screen (normally would show an extended or mirrored desktop, but of course that's not possible until Windows is set up).

🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️

Here I was thinking my computer was bricked, but it ended up being a simple issue. So note to self and everyone else: When reinstalling Windows, disconnect EVERY peripheral (aside from mouse and keyboard, of course), including secondary displays!

• Haha
Reactions: SteveJUAE
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.